Oregon Dispersed Camping

• HTML tutorial

Vin

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Houston, Texas
Member #

I know this is a little like asking Coca-Cola for their secret recipe, but I thought this would be a good place to ask anyway.

I will be spending a few weeks in Oregon this coming August. Mainly in the Willamette, Mt. Hood, and Siuslaw National Forests. I imagine August will be a popular time in the more developed camping areas (especially weekends). Any thoughts as to great dispersed locations I could look at?

Thank you for the help.

Billy "Poserlander" Badly

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

PDX, OR, USA
Member #

In the Mt. Hood National Forest, my go to for quick trips is the Barlow Road, NF 3530. There are lots of dispersed sites along that road, and it's a fun drive. That said, it's popular and close enough to Portland that you'll probably have neighbors...

You can camp pretty much anywhere in the NF, so you should be able to find something regardless. Good luck!

Coach Reese

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Cottage Grove, OR, USA
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Reese
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7NCD
User.ramblr.com/nwoverlandquest

Barlow Road is one of the routes on here and has a couple good spots right along the trail, but word is that the bridge is still closed. Folks try to cross the river there and the forest service set up a camera to capture plates, so they've been getting nice tickets. We haven't driven it in 2019 to map the bypass, but there is definitely a way around. I recommend bringing a chainsaw. There was a forest fire through the area last summer and this winter was hard on the trees.

Valsetz area is closed til Dec 1st. No camping allowed there anyways due to private timber land.

Lots of options in the Tillamook State Forest and on Mount Hebo (updated route coming soon).

Let me know if you have any questions. @nwoverlandquest

Coach Reese

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Cottage Grove, OR, USA
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Reese
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7NCD
Oh, and Santiam Wagon Road is my personal favorite. It's part in the McKenzie River Ranger District of the Willamette NF.