Older IPad mini with Gaia

• HTML tutorial

HawkH3Alpha

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Denton, TX, USA
Member #

So different question. Since an IPad is an over kill and over priced for GPS and for connection to my ODBII scanner, what android would you suggest?

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

I personally wouldn’t suggest an android. Sometimes it is difficult for people to understand that Apple is more expensive because they only sell excellence. If you buy an iPad, you won’t have to fiddle with it, it will just work and work really well. Android operating system is really built for people who like to fiddle with things. Apple is built for simplicity and reliability. Apple stuff just works, which is why I am deeply embedded in their family of products.

I know there are people on the other side of the fence, and that is fine, there is certainly something for everyone out there. In your particular situation however, I would recommend an iPad.

If you get an iPad with the LTE cellular chip inside, then it will track with GPS with no external source. If you just buy a regular Wi-Fi only iPad, you will need an external GPS receiver, like a Bad Elf GPS Pro+.

Another thing about Apple is that you will be running the same software across-the-board no matter what device you buy, hence my remark about them selling only excellence. With android, depending on what you buy, you could be running their latest greatest stuff with the latest greatest hardware, or you could be running some old rubbish that barely functions.

James

Reactions: HawkH3Alpha

JungleSkunk

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

I use a 99$ xgody 10.1 phablet for gaia and all my overlanding apps including torque pro (which isnt available on apple). Google earth, Gaia, Spotify, Youtube streaming, Torque pro, Instagram ect all run perfect. This tablet has dual sims for two different cell carriers, built in gps, wifi, and bluetooth all for $99 and no contracts with anyone. Combined with the amazon 8$ obdii bluetooth device it works perfectly. There are better options out there by far but this is just an example.

Dont let the "brand" fan boys tell you other wise but these apps will run on just about any potato of an android device with ease. Ive got a $30 android phone that runs Gaia.

I have no problems with speed, reliability, or compatibility when running these apps on android. There is no need to buy an overpriced Ipad if your only running a few simple apps.

Just about any modern 32 gig quad core android device will more than run these programs without a hitch. Just make sure you get one with a built in GPS receiver which most have. The Samsung Tab A is a good name brand alternative at a fraction of the cost of an Ipad of similar specs and size.

If you are not a "tech" kind of person or have zero patience to wait a few seconds for your device to boot up maybe a $1200 Ipad is for you :D

Last edited: