Rank 0

Contributor I

Raleigh, NC
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Alvarez
Hi Yall,

New to the overlanding community but I am an experienced backpacker.

I am headed up to the TN/NC border with some friends to camp out at Max Patch, NC.

I called the ranger station and they told me it was illegal to drive the Hurricane Creek Trail to max patch and it has been shut down due to over use.

My question is, what other overlanding spots do you recommend that are in the vicinity of the Blue Ridge Mountains?

justjames

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Member #

If you're camping at Max Patch, look for Buzzards Roost Overlook on Google maps. It's across I-40 in the same area on Rd 288. The Harmon Den WMA roads will allow you to make your way and stay on dirt.

Reactions: HeelsFan72

HeelsFan72

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Chapel Hill NC
First Name
Tanner
Last Name
Hedrick
Member #

If you're camping at Max Patch, look for Buzzards Roost Overlook on Google maps. It's across I-40 in the same area on Rd 288. The Harmon Den WMA roads will allow you to make your way and stay on dirt.
JustJames, saw your reply on another thread about the Pisgah Area -- the Harmen Den area is one of the few places I've yet to explore-- ever since Hurricane Creek closed I haven't found myself in that area, but you sound pretty knowledgeable - Seems like there are routes to Max Patch other than Hurricane Creek, but wondering if any of these are worth going to, or still open? For example I have a route in GAIA getting to Max Patch via Cold Springs Creek Road and Max Patch road. Have you done this route, or do you know of any others in the same area of Harmen Den/Max Patch?

Thanks in advance

-Tanner

justjames

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Member #

JustJames, saw your reply on another thread about the Pisgah Area -- the Harmen Den area is one of the few places I've yet to explore-- ever since Hurricane Creek closed I haven't found myself in that area, but you sound pretty knowledgeable - Seems like there are routes to Max Patch other than Hurricane Creek, but wondering if any of these are worth going to, or still open? For example I have a route in GAIA getting to Max Patch via Cold Springs Creek Road and Max Patch road. Have you done this route, or do you know of any others in the same area of Harmen Den/Max Patch?

Thanks in advance

-Tanner
I haven't been in that area since the closure either. I know the Pisgah/Table Rock area pretty well but not so much for Harmon Den WMA. Past experience has shown that some of the roads shown on Google maps are seasonal to the whim of the local forest service.
Sorry I can't be of more help.

HeelsFan72

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Chapel Hill NC
First Name
Tanner
Last Name
Hedrick
Member #

I haven't been in that area since the closure either. I know the Pisgah/Table Rock area pretty well but not so much for Harmon Den WMA. Past experience has shown that some of the roads shown on Google maps are seasonal to the whim of the local forest service.
Sorry I can't be of more help.
No worries at all-- one of these days I'll get out and explore the area. I'll be sure to report back.

Happy adventuring