Off Road Trails

• HTML tutorial

Jimmy Schantz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Jimmy Schantz , here with another question about " Off Road Trails" WE all have that one friend that has to be the Extreme as possible. Rock Crawling, Mud Bogging, Trail Blazing, Rig Breaking Adventurer!! But what do you do when you have to chose how far your going to push your Rig?
Me myself i enjoy a good Adventure but like my Pop always said " you got to drive it home!"

Reactions: Desert Runner

Lead K9

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Franklin Park, Illinois
First Name
Lead
Last Name
Dog
Member #

One of the philosophies of the club I run with is that no one is forced to do anything they don't want to. No peer pressure in that department. In fact we encourage each other to only go as far as the driver feels comfortable.

In addition, we don't have anyone in our club that uses a trailer. Everyone drives their rigs to the trail, on the trail, and home from the trail. Most of us are driving our daily drivers off-road. I guess we all like the idea that we are driving our vehicles anywhere so they are all moderately built. No one is running larger than 33" tires.

Most of the places we run have bypasses for the harder obstacles, so there is never any pressure to get stuck. Some will dive in, some will do the bypass, and some will gauge the obstacle and make a call when we get there.

It is no fun if you are feeling peer pressure to try things that you are not comfortable with. This is a hobby, after all, and people should pursue it because they enjoy themselves. Any hardcore yahoos are definitely confronted by our group and asked to tone it down if they want to run with us.

Fleamac

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate III

Lowell, Michigan
First Name
Gus
Last Name
M
Member #

But what do you do when you have to chose how far your going to push your Rig?
I don't trailer my rig, so I have to make it home. If it's a knarely obstacle, I'll take the 'go around'. I destroyed my rear spider gears on Drummond Island's Marble Head. Front wheel drive till I could make a Lincoln Locker, on Drummond. Then wheeled and explored another 600 miles till I got home and replaced the entire axle.

I found the 'line', crossed it and paid the price. Now I wheel carefully. I've learned my lesson...

Last edited by a moderator:

Alaska.hermit

Rank V

Off-Road Ranger II

Wasilla, Matanuska-Susitna Borough, Alaska, United States
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Morriss
Member #

Service Branch
Us Army (retired)
I have been stuck in the middle of nowhere a few times in my life......I try to be as smart as possible when on the trail. Breaking my rig is not a badge of honor for me.

I have a younger buddy who is a little more adventurous than I am on the trail.......he takes it easy when I am out there because the thought of being rescued by my ford again makes him cringe.

D2F082D6-1474-4131-A337-1DA13BE7AFDC.jpeg
His Cherokee in front, my F150 in the back.

Attachments

Cottonwoody

US West Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Influencer II

Redding CA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

I grew up in Southern California and spent many years in Baja California back in the mid-to-late 80s. There were some places that the local said if you break down you not make it out of there alive. I've always been very cautious about pushing too hard and breaking things especially the farther I go out.

Sent from my XT1254 using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Jimmy Schantz