Tommy
Last Name
Watson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WROE242
Service Branch
USMC
Does anyone have experience with this jack stand or something similar? Or even just thoughts to share about something like this? I was thinking about adding this to my rig, but I’m not sure how much I trust it or how well it will maintain floatation in sand/mud/soft dirt.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
About the only thing that piques my interest is the axle tube bracket as I already have a good bottle jack and an 18x18” platform that doubles as a shower floor. Hmmm, I can make that bracket out of black pipe, a T and a pair of street elbows. Nah, I’m good, just more weight to drag around.

World Traveler III

Nokomis, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Fazio
We have both the Safe Jack and jack stand, we also have the rectangular base plate the jack can mount to. We bought it all in 2014, IIRC there was a show special. They had to make custom axle tube brackets since we were the first customer to buy their system for the Dana 60s on our van. We've never had to use the jack stand in sand but the jack base plate works really well, used it this past November on a friends 3500/XP Camper to field repair a brake issue at the beach. The sand wasn't super soft but he couldn't get his bottle jack stable enough on the wood or an inverted leveling block he had. We just pulled our jack and used it instead. The base plate just fits in a 6 gallon crate. Looking at the Safe Jack site, the current base plate is different from ours. Together the jack and jack stand are very heavy. Fortunately, we didn't have to use our jack a lot but we did use both on several occasions to get either the front or rear end off the ground so it was beneficial.

Here's what our base plate looks like (from Google). The jack mounts to the smaller plate then it nests on the base plate, locking in place by the pin.
Base_Plate.png

Reactions: GunRunnersActual

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
About the only thing that piques my interest is the axle tube bracket as I already have a good bottle jack
I made mine out of 4x4 1/4" channel and a section of pipe welded on the bottom. Notch the channel in the shape of your axle and call it good. It sits in my Jack area so it doesn't take up any more room.

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
I've used a square of lumber for years (light and cheap). Currently have a jack base made of robust plastic (also cheap and light). The key, in my view, is to ensure that the vehicle is stable to start with (flat surface and chocks); I realise that this is not always possible, however. The jack extensions look hazardous to me - unless you're on a flat surface and lateral stability is certain, I wouldn't want to jack much higher than the limits of the bottle jack I'm using - a vehicle on stilts isn't very stable...

Advtres

Rank VI
Investor

Steward I

Hollister, CA, USA
First Name
Lizabeth
Last Name
Deliriumskid
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6STB
I only use my safe jack for my rig and got a rubber mat if needed for under it. I really like the safe jack and it packs up pretty nicely.

Explorer I

Macedon Ranges, VIC, Australia
First Name
Chantal
Last Name
ChB
We have just bought ourselves a pair of Jaxbase, but haven't used them yet.
Basically they are a smaller version of the Maxtrax with additional support for when they are used as a jack base.

We will be using these as a second pair of Maxtrax (to minimise weight), as leveler to park our ute on when we are on a slight slope and as a base for our bottle jack.
MTXJB.jpgMTXJB2.jpg

GunRunnersActual

Rank V

Explorer I

Laurel, MS, USA
First Name
Tommy
Last Name
Watson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WROE242
Service Branch
USMC
I think I’ll order it soon, I’ll report back on with follow on thoughts once I’ve tested it out.