Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Norfolk, VA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Hollon
Member #

For years my wife and I have talked about taking the Currituck Ferry from Knotts Island, so for her birthday I decided to go for it. I didn't know before hand that she had never been on a ferry, so that was interesting. Once landing in Currituck we decided to explore a little bit and noticed that the Currituck Beach Lighthouse was only 9 miles away. That 9 miles took an unexpected hour because we had to take Hwy 158 down to Hwy 12, but it was worth it because we found ourselves on the Outer Banks (which we also talked about visiting for years). When we made it to the lighthouse, we also discovered the Whalehead Club.

Lighthouse view from the Whalehead Club:
Lighthouse & Dock.jpg

Whalehead Club:Whalehead Club.jpg

Bridge to the Whalehead Club:
Bridge.jpg

Much to my surprise, my wife didn't feel like climbing up the lighthouse that day (she loves lighthouses). However, she was excited about the idea of the 4WD Beach...and the road signs said it was only about 2 miles further down Hwy 12. So we went and played on the beach.

End of the pavement:
Beach 4.jpg

Beach 3.jpg

Beach 9.jpg

Beach 5.jpg

We found an entire community living along the beach, but I won't share those pictures for privacy reasons. We also found that the entire area was full of wild horses:
Beach 8.jpg

Beach 7.jpg

We started our departure around 4:30-5:00pm and realized we had forgotten about the tide change. The race was on as I had to bank the Jeep numerous times to avoid the incoming waves and/or oncoming traffic:
Beach 2.jpg

Beach 1.jpg

NC4RNNR

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

Winston Salem
Member #

Was that near Corolla? Spent a week there in one of those houses. Had to have 4WD to get to and from the house. It was awesome and the wild horses were so beautiful.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

hollonm

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Norfolk, VA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Hollon
Member #

Was that near Corolla? Spent a week there in one of those houses. Had to have 4WD to get to and from the house. It was awesome and the wild horses were so beautiful.
The lighthouse is in Corolla. The beach is a couple miles further up Hwy 12 N. Eventually I want to make a 3 day trip around the whole Outer Banks. I plan to drive down to Kitty Hawk on a Friday after work and get a hotel around the Hwy 158/Hwy 12 intersection, travel the banks looping back to the mainland on Saturday, then drive back up to Norfolk via Hwy 17 or I-95 on Sunday.

Reactions: NC4RNNR