Launch Member

Member III

Texas/Missouri
First Name
Steven
Last Name
M
Member #

I decided to get some real "social distancing" today by doing a day trip on the OAT.
Started in Colbert and ended in Hugo.
Came across this cool bridge that said it was made in 1905
image.jpeg
All the roads were passable but since it had been raining for the last week, there were a few places where it was a slop fest. Especially E2100. Sorry no pics because I was to focused on driving!
image.jpeg
Baptized with Oklahoma mud...image.jpeg
My co-pilot for the day.
image.jpeg
Finally got to see Carpenters bridge.
image.jpegimage.jpeg
Lots of little old bridges like this on the route
image.jpeg
Big fire as I was rolling into downtown Hugo. Looked like a restraunt.
image.jpeg
"Circus cemetery" very interesting indeed...
image.jpeg
All in all it was a good trip. Good to get out of the house and get some fresh air. And even better to get away from the craziness for awhile.

Last edited:

JackA

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Orondo, WA, USA
First Name
Jack
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

Good to see rain in Texas! What was the smoke about? You have inspired me to get out of the house and take a one day overland trip. Good idea!

Offroadnutz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Texas/Missouri
First Name
Steven
Last Name
M
Member #

It was actually Oklahoma. The OAT stands for Oklahoma Adventure Trail.

I have been wanting to start it for awhile now. The smoke was actually fog. It was foggy all day. Sometimes real dense too.

Magic Mike

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Ambassador
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKV
Service Branch
Army & Marine Corps
I decided to get some real "social distancing" today by doing a day trip on the OAT.
Started in Colbert and ended in Hugo.
Came across this cool bridge that said it was made in 1905
View attachment 145929
All the roads were passable but since it had been raining for the last week, there were a few places where it was a slop fest. Especially E2100. Sorry no pics because I was to focused on driving!
View attachment 145930
Baptized with Oklahoma mud...View attachment 145931
My co-pilot for the day.
View attachment 145932
Finally got to see Carpenters bridge.
View attachment 145933View attachment 145934
Lots of little old bridges like this on the route
View attachment 145935
Big fire as I was rolling into downtown Hugo. Looked like a restraunt.
View attachment 145936
"Circus cemetery" very interesting indeed...
View attachment 145937
All in all it was a good trip. Good to get out of the house and get some fresh air. And even better to get away from the craziness for awhile.
Looked super cool...

Reactions: Offroadnutz

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I bet there were som sloppy spots up there after all the rain we and they have had up there. no locals shaking their fist at you for being out during the pandemic like everyone thinks ? , about rain in texas its been raining here alot were 15 inches over what we normally have by now. Ponds and lakes are over filled.

Offroadnutz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Texas/Missouri
First Name
Steven
Last Name
M
Member #

I bet there were som sloppy spots up there after all the rain we and they have had up there. no locals shaking their fist at you for being out during the pandemic like everyone thinks ?
Actually all the locals I saw waved at me as I was driving by. Seemed friendly enough

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Actually all the locals I saw waved at me as I was driving by. Seemed friendly enough
What i figured they are probably happy to have your business, many parts of oklahoma and arkansas are under poverty line and more than happy to have the cash you spend there, some parts are dependant totally on offroaders, hikers and campers.

Offroadnutz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Texas/Missouri
First Name
Steven
Last Name
M
Member #

The southwestern portion is next on my list. Though Im wondering about the water crossings now that its the rainy season. How were they when you went?
After that I plan the eastern section.

Reactions: r_horner

ryanorr280

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wewoka, Seminole County, Oklahoma, United States
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Orr
Member #

The southwestern portion is next on my list. Though Im wondering about the water crossings now that its the rainy season. How were they when you went?
After that I plan the eastern section.
I am curious of this as well. I looked at what tagged on my .gpx and found 3 crossings that I can only imagine are at or near impassable levels right now.

when you decide to go run it, let me know. If it’s a weekend, we may try to meet up.

Attachments

r_horner

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Guthrie, Logan County, Oklahoma, United States
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Horner
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
@Offroadnutz and @ryanorr280 I honestly don’t remember the red fork crossings being that bad as for the Altus Wildlife Management area I went around that one since I didn’t have a winch or another vehicle with me (if wife wasn’t with me I would have gone) was a steep decline and I watched some videos of vehicles getting stuck going opposite way up.

Also let me know when y’all go I would be down to do it again.

Last edited:

Offroadnutz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Texas/Missouri
First Name
Steven
Last Name
M
Member #

Did another social dstancing day trip today. Did the section between Springer at 35 and Fort Sill at 44.
This was my first time to see Turner Falls. Park was closed of course but got a few pics from an overlook. Looks like a cool place to visit.
image.jpeg
My co-pilot again for the day.
image.jpeg
All the roads were dry and passable with most either through ranch land or oil fields.
image.jpeg
E1700 between N3100 and 76 was the only exception. When I turned onto it I first thought it was just someones field and the track was wrong. But it is actually the road.
image.jpeg
Shortly after taking this pic I came across this.
image.jpeg
The road beyond was bad too. Since I was by myself, and with no good trees to winch off of if I got stuck, I rerouted around this section.

!! There was one dangerous section of road where N2970 turns into Camelback rd. Headng west, right after you go over the crest of the hill, the left side of the road is washed out. I saw it at the last moment and corrected my truck but my right rear tire went off the embankment and kicked me sideways a little bit. What makes it dangerous is coming from the other direction the east bound traffic will have to go into the left lane right before the crest of the hill.

Came across several rickety bridges like this one. Simple beam and plank.
image.jpegimage.jpeg
Made a stop off in Tatum to let the dog stretch her legs.
image.jpeg
In the background is an old church that had this sign on it.
image.jpeg
Never heard of "all black towns" of Oklahoma. Was an interesting read and learned a few things.

The weather was cloudy and the temps were nice and cool. Good weather to cruise with the windows down and get some fresh air.

Depending on how thngs go, in the next few weeks I plan on checking out the 3river crossings and see how they are.

ryanorr280

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Orr
Member #

Looks like a nice day trip. Thanks for the great heads up on some of the spots along this route. Wife and I are hoping to do it soon.

when you decide to hit the rest of it, give me a shout if you want some company. We are off the week of May 4. Plan to go then, but if it’s a Saturday we may be free to join before then.

Offroadnutz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Texas/Missouri
First Name
Steven
Last Name
M
Member #

Looks like a nice day trip. Thanks for the great heads up on some of the spots along this route. Wife and I are hoping to do it soon.

when you decide to hit the rest of it, give me a shout if you want some company. We are off the week of May 4. Plan to go then, but if it’s a Saturday we may be free to join before then.
Sounds good. Let me check my work schedule. What days specifically?

Last edited:

ryanorr280

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Orr
Member #

Sounds good. Let me check my work schedule. What days specifically?
We are planning to leave either Saturday May 2, or sun may 3rd, go as far as Wichita wildlife refuge, spend some time there (day or however long to see what we want) then head on around the loop With no definitive schedule. I have to get my camp shower made and hoping to find open campsites along the way with everything shut down.

about how long did it take you to run springer to 44?

Last edited:

Offroadnutz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Texas/Missouri
First Name
Steven
Last Name
M
Member #

We are planning to leave either Saturday May 2, or sun may 3rd, go as far as Wichita wildlife refuge, spend some time there (day or however long to see what we want) then head on around the loop With no definitive schedule. I have to get my camp shower made and hoping to find open campsites along the way with everything shut down.

about how long did it take you to run springer to 44?
It took 4 1/2 hours.
Camping may be an issue. Clear creek lake was closed to camping as well as lake Fuqua. Im thinking all the regular places will be closed too. E1700 that I mention above that I thought was a field would be a good place to camp.
I wonder too about the area around the tough river crossing by the wildlife area. I show it as public land.

ryanorr280

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Orr
Member #

It took 4 1/2 hours.
Camping may be an issue. Clear creek lake was closed to camping as well as lake Fuqua. Im thinking all the regular places will be closed too. E1700 that I mention above that I thought was a field would be a good place to camp.
I wonder too about the area around the tough river crossing by the wildlife area. I show it as public land.
That’s my fear on camping as well. Thanks for the tip on those 2, they were actually 2 options I was hoping may be open. Yet, I was afraid they wouldn’t as you verified.

from what I see on Gaia that does appear to be public land, as it’s in the Altus-Lugert wildlife management area. The area around the lake there shows public too though, so I’m unsure of the actual possibility of it. Though, some state parks are open. So maybe they are of nothing else. But I fear that’s going to be my challenge.

I know I was originally hoping to go to Doris campground in the Wichita wildlife refuge, but it is closed as well.