• HTML tutorial

Wess_014d9e

Rank I

Contributor II

First Name
Wess
Last Name
Peek
Whats going on everyone. I'm looking for some help finding off the road camp sites between NY and mid-west. I'm trying not to pull into any walmart parking but the first couple days look like slim pickings. First day of 8-10 hours of driving would land me in the northern end of Ohio or Indiana. I feel once I get past Chicago it will be easier to locate some sites and trails. I have OnX offroad and I have searched for days with no results. It could be possible I'm overlooking spots because I'm unsure of overland ediquette. Whats "acceptable" places to pull off and setup camp?

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

Whats going on everyone. I'm looking for some help finding off the road camp sites between NY and mid-west. I'm trying not to pull into any walmart parking but the first couple days look like slim pickings. First day of 8-10 hours of driving would land me in the northern end of Ohio or Indiana. I feel once I get past Chicago it will be easier to locate some sites and trails. I have OnX offroad and I have searched for days with no results. It could be possible I'm overlooking spots because I'm unsure of overland ediquette. Whats "acceptable" places to pull off and setup camp?
iOverlander, NPS, Freeroam, Roadtrippers, RV Parky, USFS&BLMCG, Reserve America

Last edited:

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
What is your main route across the country? Rt 70?
Zim

ZombieCat

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Maryland
First Name
Adventure
Last Name
Awaits!
Member #

When you’re traveling will factor into the equation, as winter conditions may limit access to wilderness areas and what commercial sites are open.
Yeah, the east coast and Midwest are both sparse on public lands. In addition to the previously named apps, add Campendium/Roadtrippers to the list. You have Allegheny National Forest along your route and if you have family in Chicago, crash in their driveway. You may have to spring for a few paid campground sites; state parks are fine, but also check county and municipal parks, as well as local fairgrounds. They’re often less expensive, although offer less amenities. Once you reach the Dakotas, your options will expand. The grasslands west of Badlands National Park have previously allowed free camping (check the website for updates).

Reactions: Wess_014d9e