Not exactly new, but back on the radar after some major life changes.

• HTML tutorial

RRitchey

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sumpter Oregon, USA
First Name
Russell
Last Name
Ritchey
Member #

In a years time I left my job, retired, sold my house, dramatically down-sized, moved to a different state and built a small cabin in the mountains and hopefully left that heart attack that was chasing me in the dust. It has been an extremely busy year, but now there is light at the end of the tunnel, I might actually get to relax a bit soon. Now I wake up and this is the view out my front window. Leaving the rat race has sure improved my quality of life. Resized_20221231_072147.jpeg

Ebbs

Rank VI

Influencer II

Spokane, WA, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Eberhardt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0JBH
Service Branch
Air Force 02-18
Awesome! I was medically retired from the Air Force due to two strokes. I promised myself I wouldn't put myself in that level of stress again, and spend more time enjoying the opportunities afforded to me as much as possible. COVID kinda put the damper on that for a bit, but my goal is 1-2 camping trips a month for as long as I can (gotta get my trailer built first)
Work to live.
Not
Live to work

Offroadnutz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Texas/Missouri
First Name
Steven
Last Name
M
Member #

In a years time I left my job, retired, sold my house, dramatically down-sized, moved to a different state and built a small cabin in the mountains and hopefully left that heart attack that was chasing me in the dust. It has been an extremely busy year, but now there is light at the end of the tunnel, I might actually get to relax a bit soon. Now I wake up and this is the view out my front window. Leaving the rat race has sure improved my quality of life. View attachment 248358
Good for you man! Im in the middle of doing the same thing.
My view.
7E043E72-83AE-4EE9-BFF6-8EE8A5C9DB0E.jpeg

Reactions: RRitchey

RRitchey

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sumpter Oregon, USA
First Name
Russell
Last Name
Ritchey
Member #

It has been interesting. We went from a 2300 sqft house with over sized 3 car garage and I had a 6 figure income, I built a small cabin from basically an enlarged garden shed to a small 540 sqft cabin. Just Me, the wife and dog, but so much happier. We didn't need all the space and bills, though I will say I kind of miss getting the wild hair and going out and buying a new vehicle whenever I wanted. We are warm dry and finding this cabin plenty to live in. I did add some fun touches like built in surround system, climate control with A/c, but mainly during the winter just heat with a wood stove. I totally agree, work to live not live to work. Though I will say converting this place in about 6 months all by myself was pretty tough. I designed and built everything. The water system, septic system, electrical system, installed the windows, doors, wood floors, the carpet, kitchen cabinets, did all the sheetrock, etc. I am not, nor have I ever been a contractor. Just got books on plumbing, electrical and a bunch of tools and went to work. Self taught me everything I needed to know. Attached is some pictures of before, during and completed. Also is a picture of a spot just down the road a few miles. Getting back to nature and giving the rat race the middle finger literally saved my life.thumbnail1.jpgResized_20221008_182935.jpegResized_20221113_174903.jpegResized_20220914_131406.jpegResized_20220620_171933.jpegResized_20220620_170950.jpeg

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
really awesome! We could do a super small house or motorhome, but not sure I could give up having a shop, we both spend more time tinkering then being in the house...lol

Reactions: RRitchey

RRitchey

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sumpter Oregon, USA
First Name
Russell
Last Name
Ritchey
Member #

I actually put 2 identical buildings about 15 feet apart, the other is storage and my man cave/gun room and just a ways from that one is another shop to store my tools. I am doing my wrenching on the 10x15 concrete slab in front of that building. They are still works in progress. I still have a bit of finish work to do on the cabin but took the winter off to tinker in the shops and other small projects around the place when weather allows.

I have restored a few small motorhomes, now my current motorhome has about 2 feet of snow on the roof and is parked alongside one of my shops.thumbnail (3).jpg

Camano Island Huh, just moved down here from Hansville, Wa.