Enthusiast III

Blaine, Minnesota, USA
First Name
Nate
Last Name
Menard
Member #

Hey!

We are headed out to CO mid july 2021 for a big family trip. We will be base in Rocky Mountain National Park with inlaws, who are doing some backpacking. Our three year old isn't quite ready for that so I'm looking for other things to do. I'm trying to figure out a loop to drive around the Estes Park area with some trails and dispersed camping. I've looked at Storm Mountain, Pole Hill, Old Flowers Road. My questions are:

How doable are trails in a full size pickup? '18 Silverado, 2.5" level, 33" AT tires

Any recommendations on trails to run or dispersed camping near RMNP and Roosevelt NF?

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
For camping and trails, if you don't find anything on the Overland Bound map, try iOverlander and TrailsOffroad respectively.

I can't speak for trails you might run specifically, but I run a lot of CO trails in my nearly stock Avalanche.

trail_runn4r

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

Hey!

We are headed out to CO mid july 2021 for a big family trip. We will be base in Rocky Mountain National Park with inlaws, who are doing some backpacking. Our three year old isn't quite ready for that so I'm looking for other things to do. I'm trying to figure out a loop to drive around the Estes Park area with some trails and dispersed camping. I've looked at Storm Mountain, Pole Hill, Old Flowers Road. My questions are:

How doable are trails in a full size pickup? '18 Silverado, 2.5" level, 33" AT tires

Any recommendations on trails to run or dispersed camping near RMNP and Roosevelt NF?
Quick question before replying, what’s your offroad experience level and are you looking more for easy/scenic stuff a bit more challenging?

trail_runn4r

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

@trail_runn4r Are any of the trails he listed something we might do a day run on while he's here if he's interested?
Definitely, I haven’t ventured that much there yet so I would be up for a day/weekend trip if he wants to meet other members!

Last edited:
Reactions: Neal A. Tew

bigearlmsp

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Blaine, Minnesota, USA
First Name
Nate
Last Name
Menard
Member #

Quick question before replying, what’s your offroad experience level and are you looking more for easy/scenic stuff a bit more challenging?
I have some experience, but nothing in the mountains. The trails I can find in MN/WI/MI aren't anything too technical. I'm not looking to do any crazy rock climbing. I'd just like to get out and explore in places less traveled. I would definitely be in to meet up while out there!

trail_runn4r

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

I have some experience, but nothing in the mountains. The trails I can find in MN/WI/MI aren't anything too technical. I'm not looking to do any crazy rock climbing. I'd just like to get out and explore in places less traveled. I would definitely be in to meet up while out there!
Great! Since you will be in RMNP for now I recommend to do Old Fall River Road (dirt road) and drive Trail Ridge Road (scenic).

I'll do some research in the are for true off-road stuff, let us know when you got your dates finalized so that we can create a Rally Point.

• Love

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
The northern end of the Enchanted Rockies trail terminates in that area. You might be able to do segments 8&9.

JCarter

Rank V
Investor

Member III

Firestone, Weld County, Colorado, United States
First Name
John
Last Name
Carter
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0LRZ
Hey!

Old Flowers RD is an easy trail during the summer. Old Flowers Road - Colorado Offroad Trail but can be tricky in the winter without chains. In the video at min 1:51 that is me walking in the background with a shovel as the jeep slides back down the hill. I was next after that Jeep and did the same thing. At min 2:06 that is my rig winching up the hill (this is before I had chains and now I don't leave home without them!) :blush:

Pole Hill Rd is easy too, just watch out for the paid tour trucks out of Estes if you park beside the rd because they are a bunch of AHoles and don't care if you have kids or dogs running around they will fly by you! John Carter - Google Maps
Make sure you stop here for a good photo overlook of Estes: 40°22'06.1"N 105°26'03.7"W

I have probably been on Storm Mountain, but I can't remember at this time (If this is the right on40°27'31.8"N 105°21'25.3"W) judging by the terrain and buildings on the map I would not see an issue with talking a full-size truck up there.

Because of the fires this year I would check to make sure the areas are open before you plan to go, I am currently not up to speed on what is or is not open because of them. Also, if I am not on another adventure at the time you visit and you would like another vehicle to tag along for the day keep me posted and I would be happy to drive up there. Mine are 9,9, and 6.

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

Cañon City, Colorado, USA
First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
Hey!

Trailsoffroad.com

wishihada4runner

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Thompson
Member #

trailsoffroad.com is a great site but you need to pay for the good content. Nothing wrong with that, but, you can also get free tracks here.

I'd love to tag along too, doesn't sound like you're doing any rock crawling, which isn't my thing anyway. But my Outback is more capable than I'd ever had imagined.

July will be upon us before we know it!

bigearlmsp

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Blaine, Minnesota, USA
First Name
Nate
Last Name
Menard
Member #

Plans have changed and unfortunately we won't be making the trip to CO this summer. Our trip has been shortened and we will be hitting up the Black Hills in SD instead. Thanks for the tips on CO! Hope to get out there next summer!

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Plans have changed and unfortunately we won't be making the trip to CO this summer. Our trip has been shortened and we will be hitting up the Black Hills in SD instead. Thanks for the tips on CO! Hope to get out there next summer!
Hit up the Dakota's Member Rep if you need anything:

@jwalla