Peregrine

Rank III

Advocate I

Idaho, USA
First Name
Darby
Last Name
Peregrine
Idaho here. Snow has kicked me out of the mountains, Was 11 degrees and snow this week camping along the Snake River. Taking the not-so-subtle hint maybe south would be better.

Was thinking Northern Arizona might be a little more inviting.

Have a Palomino SS-1200 totally self contained. Interested in dispersed camping areas that might be good to check out. Any suggestions/recommendations?

David C Gibbs

Rank VI

Member III

Boise, Idaho
First Name
David
Last Name
Gibbs
Member #

Hi Darby,
I went to Jr. High - through - College in Tucson, and I reside in Boise. My mother lives in Chandler. Know the area well. Arizona - gets snow too. North Rim Grand Canyon, Flagstaff, Slowlow/Pinetop/White Mtns, Upper reaches of the Santa Catalina's and Rincon's - all get snow. A safe bet is the Verde Valley, Tonto N.F., Salt River Canyon to Lake Roosevelt, etc.
Gibbs

Reactions: Peregrine

Peregrine

Rank III

Advocate I

Idaho, USA
First Name
Darby
Last Name
Peregrine
Hi Darby,
I went to Jr. High - through - College in Tucson, and I reside in Boise. My mother lives in Chandler. Know the area well. Arizona - gets snow too. North Rim Grand Canyon, Flagstaff, Slowlow/Pinetop/White Mtns, Upper reaches of the Santa Catalina's and Rincon's - all get snow. A safe bet is the Verde Valley, Tonto N.F., Salt River Canyon to Lake Roosevelt, etc.
Gibbs
Thanks

GhostCat

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Maricopa County, Arizona, United States
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Shapera
Member #

Agreed on the snow for northern half. If you can stretch to southern half the elevation might just do the trick. Saguaro, Ironwood, etc just outside the cities. Sonora National Monument has some access and some neat history from Oatman Massacre to Butterfield Trail. Also, not to sell out my own state but you could take a look at Nevada outside of Vegas along the way too. My family did a day trip to Valley of Fire, which is unbelievable, and in the 60s today.

1701965458523.png

Reactions: David C Gibbs

David C Gibbs

Rank VI

Member III

Boise, Idaho
First Name
David
Last Name
Gibbs
Member #

Agreed on the snow for northern half. If you can stretch to southern half the elevation might just do the trick. Saguaro, Ironwood, etc just outside the cities. Sonora National Monument has some access and some neat history from Oatman Massacre to Butterfield Trail. Also, not to sell out my own state but you could take a look at Nevada outside of Vegas along the way too. My family did a day trip to Valley of Fire, which is unbelievable, and in the 60s today.

View attachment 270198
VALLEY of FIRE is worth several nights. Great hiking, landscapes and STARS!

Reactions: GhostCat