Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
Hey just a heads up, talking to logger from Chewelah today and HAM came up. Turns out a few outfits are starting to run on 146.555. Figured others might like to know so we know where the trucks are and they know where we are.

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
As far as I know anything related to business or commercial use is still not permitted on the HAM frequencies. My guess is folks are buying the cheap Chinese radios, handheld and mobile, and either don't know or don't care that a license is required. Much better range than a CB and no monthly cost like a commercial radio system. That being said, I will punch 146.555 into my radio scan list and see what I hear on my next trip into the mountains, guessing if they are using HAM radio, you won't be hearing any call signs...lol

Reactions: velo47 and Kent R

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
True, I do know of one outfit up in the 150s that has actually purchased a commercial license. I didn't get the exact frequency.
As far as radios go, the conversation started because I noticed a 50watt Kenwood in the truck I was working on. So they aren't always cheaping out on gear.

South_Puget_Sound_OL

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Roy, WA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Pinick
Member #

I use GMRS radios and I have a license. However I stick to my preprogrammed channels and I have HAM people walking all over me when I try to communicate. I haven't heard any call sings and my channels are supposed to be restricted to licensed GMRS handlers only. Its very annoying...

Wandering_Wolverine

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Papillion, NE, USA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Priest
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K8JOK
Service Branch
USAF
I use GMRS radios and I have a license. However I stick to my preprogrammed channels and I have HAM people walking all over me when I try to communicate. I haven't heard any call sings and my channels are supposed to be restricted to licensed GMRS handlers only. Its very annoying...
What makes you think it is hams? Anything is possible but hams take a lot of pride in good radio etiquette and never miss a chance to use their callsigns. Unfortunately, the GMRS license give additional privileges like higher power and repeater use but shares channels with FRS. I’m licensed for GMRS but hear mostly kids with walkie talkies around town. The roger beeps are pretty annoying...

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
the blister pack FRS radios don’t need a license and they run the same frequencies as GMRS... so what you are assuming are hams, are more than likely people running FRS radios.

South_Puget_Sound_OL

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Roy, WA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Pinick
Member #

the blister pack FRS radios don’t need a license and they run the same frequencies as GMRS... so what you are assuming are hams, are more than likely people running FRS radios.
I've been considering upgrading to HAM but I'm horrible about taking tests. Is the process hard?

South_Puget_Sound_OL

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Roy, WA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Pinick
Member #

What makes you think it is hams? Anything is possible but hams take a lot of pride in good radio etiquette and never miss a chance to use their callsigns. Unfortunately, the GMRS license give additional privileges like higher power and repeater use but shares channels with FRS. I’m licensed for GMRS but hear mostly kids with walkie talkies around town. The roger beeps are pretty annoying...
Haven't heard any kids around town. I live in Roy Wa and I'm constantly picking up guys out of Covington Wa doing radio checks and I just mapped it and its 45 miles away. Pretty sure they aren't FRS but not 100% possitive.

Reactions: M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Haven't heard any kids around town. I live in Roy Wa and I'm constantly picking up guys out of Covington Wa doing radio checks and I just mapped it and its 45 miles away. Pretty sure they aren't FRS but not 100% possitive.
Ham won’t travel that far without a repeater