Launch Member

Influencer II

Oxford, UK
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Lunn
Member #

A couple of months back we headed off for 10 days to tour the North Coast 500. Not the most challenging of overland adventures I’d admit but still a great drive. Camping in gale force winds was interesting though... we seem to manage to pick it that way. Same with last year’s Outer Hebrides trip. Plenty of sunshine and blues sky’s during the day but heavy rain and wind at night. All adds to the fun.

IMG_4819.JPGIMG_4987.JPGIMG_4869.JPGIMG_5015.JPGIMG_5093.JPG

Anyway it occurred to us, that apart from 10 days wasn’t enough so we will be back, that we missed a bit of the Scottish Coast. Couple of months later and I’m flicking through LRM and come across the exact trip we were planning next... the North East 250
https://www.northeast250.com/.

Has anybody done it yet? Any thoughts on the route?

snowcat

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Aberdeenshire, Scotland
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Stone
Member #

Hi Tim,

Looks like you got some good days in the north. The NE250 is a new route, set up after the success of the R500. Living in the area I guess I have travelled most of it, all be it not as single trip.
From what we can see it is a bit different. The scenery is more about the Deeside valley and hills and the northern coast routes. If I was forced to compare the two routes at this early stage the route is more about stopping on the way around and enjoying events, walks, tourist activities (distilleries, mountain biking, skiing etc) and not so much about the driving element (which is nice but not as spectacular as the NW Scotland). Apart from Deeside which has a lot of tourist traffic it will generally have less traffic as it is largely rural. If you are into wide camping then it is a little bit more difficult in the farm land areas on the northern & eastern sections but there are various rural camping sites which are on some lovely coast.
If you want any specific advice then give me a shout,

Regards,
Mike

Reactions: Tim

Tim

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Oxford, UK
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Lunn
Member #

Hi Tim,

Looks like you got some good days in the north. The NE250 is a new route, set up after the success of the R500. Living in the area I guess I have travelled most of it, all be it not as single trip.
From what we can see it is a bit different. The scenery is more about the Deeside valley and hills and the northern coast routes. If I was forced to compare the two routes at this early stage the route is more about stopping on the way around and enjoying events, walks, tourist activities (distilleries, mountain biking, skiing etc) and not so much about the driving element (which is nice but not as spectacular as the NW Scotland). Apart from Deeside which has a lot of tourist traffic it will generally have less traffic as it is largely rural. If you are into wide camping then it is a little bit more difficult in the farm land areas on the northern & eastern sections but there are various rural camping sites which are on some lovely coast.
If you want any specific advice then give me a shout,

Regards,
Mike
Hi Mike, that’s great feedback, thanks. One of the reasons we want to do the R500 again is to pick up on a few more of the places to stop and things to do along the way. Getting out to Cape Wrath for example. Yes, did really enjoy the driving around the NW but I guess less driving could mean more chance to sample a few single malts along the way, so not complaining!

Thanks again,

Tim