• HTML tutorial

kappels

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Chattanooga, TN
Member #

Hi all,

I’m looking to plan a route to visit some great places in North Carolina this fall, and stop to go camping along the way. My 04 Jeep TJ is currently stock, so I would not be doing too much of heavy duty, off-the-grid overlanding but would like to take some backroads/local roads and see some locations along the way!

Looking for any and all suggestions. Thanks in advance!

Minuteman

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

North Carolina, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK4NRA
How long is Hurricane Creek Rd?
Hurricane Creek/ "Max patch"( locals call it this), Harmons den is about a 4 hour loop. I have been there many times, the best way to hit the trail is off of I40 heading west. Make sure you have a cb on channel 19, as the loop exit is about two miles past the Harmons den exit(a few miles before TN), and is literally a right turn off of the hwy on a pretty good downhill. Some truckers will not realize you are hanging a right, right off the interstate, you have to cruise past some hunting cabins once on the trail. It is truely a beautiful run. I would recommend 4x4 only, it has some Harry spots, especially in the winter. A few trucks have rolled of the ledge in icy conditions.

Reactions: RickLB

Krazie

Rank 0
Launch Member

Traveler I

Fletcher, NC, USA
Member #

I took Yellow gap rd. I think from Hendersonville to Blue ridge pkwy and into Asheville. From there take I-40 west to mile marker 8 and do Hurricane creek rd.
Doing same exact track tomorrow. Saturday October 20th. Taking a 2013 rubicon. More and welcome to join the family and I.

Krazie

Rank 0
Launch Member

Traveler I

Fletcher, NC, USA
Member #

I took Yellow gap rd. I think from Hendersonville to Blue ridge pkwy and into Asheville. From there take I-40 west to mile marker 8 and do Hurricane creek rd.
Actually it’s Mills River to back side of brevard. Great camping up yellow gap. Also another gravel road to the right right when entering the Campground is wash creek. Another great gravel road with great camping.