North Carolina to MOORE (Springfield MO)

• HTML tutorial

Relic6.3

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

North Carolina, USA
First Name
Pat
Last Name
Crowell
Member #

Great “weekend” at MOORE & SMORR! Left Eastern North Carolina on Thursday and picked up the FWC Granby in Whittier NC. Took the pass thru the Great Smoky Mountain National Park to Pigeon Forge TN then onto I-40 West. One night on the road and arrived at SMORR early Friday afternoon. I was a little disappointed that SMORR does not allow full-size (except for Ford Raptor), 2WD vehicles, or moto onto their trails but I can see that their concern for the safety of their patrons is paramount... and maybe a bit of liability. I did mention to the owner about creating a bunny slope of sorts for noobs to get their feet wet. He mentioned that he had something in the works so I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens there. Camping at SMORR was a treat! Clean restrooms with hot showers, hot breakfast, bonfires each night and professional staff. Over 100 miles of trails from level 1 to 6 for the die hard crawlers.

Kind of neat that SMORR is about 35 miles to the Ozark Empire Fairgrounds where MOORE was held, nice drive in. Saturday morning was slammed with people coming out to see what is new and what Overlanding is all about. Chris Holloway and his team did an outstanding job setting this first time expo up. Indoor venue was a good choice for a February event. Sat in on a bunch of different seminars geared toward the novice and advanced overlanders. Met Aaron Paris OB #6 from Switchback Outdoor Safety. Sounds like Chris is already planning for next year so mark your calendars.

Dropped the camper in Tulsa OK then back on the road to NC. Camper was super easy to set up and take down and was pretty good on gas (got 12 mpg). Will definitely be looking for a FWC Hawk or Northstar 650 in my future.

Travel wise I think the best part of the trip was through the mountains from Cherokee NC to Pigeon Forge TN; was not planning to go that route, just the way GPS took me. Getting off the interstate onto some of the country highways was nice too. Next time I will have my own rig and kit so I will be able to take part in the offroad portion of travel they had set up between SMORR and MOORE; they ran a route through back country roads that took 3-4 hours (or more). Looked like some of those guys and gals had a pretty good time running together.

Reactions: DevilDodge

Pretzel

Rank IV

Member III

Greenville, NC
First Name
Eric
Last Name
D.
Member #

Their website and rules (even on the trail map with rules) don't say anything about no full size vehicles, and why the exception for raptors unless they're just baiting ford drivers to get stuck on what are supposed to be exclusively jeep trails?

Relic6.3

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

North Carolina, USA
First Name
Pat
Last Name
Crowell
Member #

Just going by what they told me. I would have been happy to run up and down the level 1 trails a bit just to get dusty and get my tires spinning some. Still need to figure out how to drive the G80 rear locker on my truck. As far as the Raptors go, Brandon said they have proven themselves capable. He does not seem like the type to bait anyone; very down to earth guy and like I said earlier, they are concerned about the safety and enjoyment of their patrons.

Pretzel

Rank IV

Member III

Greenville, NC
First Name
Eric
Last Name
D.
Member #

Roger that. I'm glad your weekend wasn't based on getting to wheel in SMORR and you had plenty of fun otherwise. I'm imagining a situation where I'd be pissed off if I traveled that far and was told I couldn't even get on the "bunny slope", but the guy in line behind me driving a raptor was waved in.