Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

This may seem like a silly thing to ask, as I just got my new fridge. However I got that for my 08 Suburban, loads of room. I am keeping it, but adding a 2023 Outback to my fleet. For many reasons a RTT and Ground tent do not work for us, we need to sleep in the car. With this, there is just not a lot of space for the fridge when using the outback.

This got me to thinking, what meals can/recipes can we come up with that require no cooler/fridge. While I may still have to carry a cooler for milk, I would like to hear ideas for no fridge meals.
Yes, I know all about freeze dried/dehydrated meal. I don't want those, too much money to buy, too much time to make my own.
I'm looking for meals to make with normal household items.

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
Unwashed produce tends to keep relatively well as long as it's not exposed to hot temps while stored. Farm-fresh, unwashed eggs don't require refrigeration either. Store-bought eggs will need to be refrigerated.

If you have a dutch oven or something to bake with then that opens up more possibilities.

Canned goods, obviously.

So with that in mind, some ideas (provided you have the cookware to do it):
  • Meatless Soup/Stew. Water, spices, produce, optional corn starch or flour to thicken, and a large pot to simmer during the day. Or from a can, your choice.
  • Omelettes, egg scrambles, breakfast burritos, or breakfast sandwiches with diced peppers, potatoes, etc.
  • Chili and cornbread (if you have a way to bake the cornbread, like a dutch oven or cast iron forms, Omnia stovetop oven, etc)
  • Pasta with your choice of sauce and garlic bread if you love your carbs like I do.
When it comes to canned goods I'm pretty picky, especially when it comes to canned vegetables, but there's a lot that can be made with the right canned goods. Not particularly helpful here, but I find inspiration just walking down the grocery store aisles, either finding new things or remembering products I forgot about. There are a lot of dry and canned goods that don't require refrigerated ingredients to turn into complete, decent meals.

Hope this helped a little.

pcstockton

Rank III

Advocate I

Portland, OR
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
S
Besides the obvious canned goods.....

EGGS!!! Even store bought will be fine for a week outside of a fridge.
Hard cheese
Hard Salamis/sausage
Bread/Tortillas/Bagels
Anything you see at the grocery store vegetable area that is not refrigerated.... onions, potatoes, garlic, avocados etc.
Fruit
Pasta/beans/rice
Pasta Sauce
Butter
Nuts
Peanut butter/Jam
SNACKS.... chips/pretzels/popcorn/cookies
Oatmeal
Cereal bars
Ramen bowls
Powdered Soups and Mashed Potatoes
Beef Jerky
Pre-cooked bacon (not that bad)
SPAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and many many more. Just go for a walk through the non-refrigerated aisles of your grocery store.

When I go camping about the only thing in my Dometic is BEER and the few items that require cooling.

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Think mac & cheese, hamburger helper, Rice-A-Roni, oatmeal, Cream of wheat, Instant mashed potatoes, Cold cereal and even milk will keep for a few days if cool along with the package of frozen vegetables with the regular again to help keep things cool? Fresh fruits, and vegetables, nuts crackers and cheese, if you cook at home and have a vacuum sealer? Make up meals that just need to be reheated, spices to make things tast better, sandwich makings as mayonnaise and the like keeps a long time without refrigeration. Canned soups, or again soups done at home to reheat later. Oh and just because of where I live, Apples! Just some thoughts. Vance.

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

Think mac & cheese, hamburger helper, Rice-A-Roni, oatmeal, Cream of wheat, Instant mashed potatoes, Cold cereal and even milk will keep for a few days if cool along with the package of frozen vegetables with the regular again to help keep things cool? Fresh fruits, and vegetables, nuts crackers and cheese, if you cook at home and have a vacuum sealer? Make up meals that just need to be reheated, spices to make things tast better, sandwich makings as mayonnaise and the like keeps a long time without refrigeration. Canned soups, or again soups done at home to reheat later. Oh and just because of where I live, Apples! Just some thoughts. Vance.
As you may know, I am not too far away, so yes, apples will be on the list.

I know Michael(OB0001) said that they once did a trip to Baja with no cooler, any one else do trips with no cooler/fridge?

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

As you may know, I am not too far away, so yes, apples will be on the list.

I know Michael(OB0001) said that they once did a trip to Baja with no cooler, any one else do trips with no cooler/fridge?
Great to see you are still out doing, going on adventures. Vance.

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

Great to see you are still out doing, going on adventures. Vance.
Well, I am trying. I spend so much time traveling, its hard to find time to, well, travel. I am gone every week somewhere. Just retuned from Fairbanks AK. In Long Beach CA. right now. Because I am always gone, it does make going places when I am off a bit of a challenge.
I do plan to do at least part/most of the Utah BDR this next year. But hope to do more.

Reactions: 4wheelspulling

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Most of my ideas have already been hit... but here are some of my favorites for non-cooler/fridge even if some are repeats:
  • Chili and fixin's - you can bring a white onion to dice up, you can bring a block of cheddar to grate (no, a block of cheddar doesn't need refrigerated), you can get cornbread croutons to throw in or just pre-make cornbread and bring it, etc.
  • Pasta and Sauce - you can get more creative than just spaghetti and a basic marinara, you can get bottled non-perishable pesto, alfredo, etc. For a side a loaf of french bread and some butter (no butter doesn't have to be refrigerated) is great for me, but if you want coat it with butter and this: you can step it up a notch
  • Baked potatoes and fixin's - obviously sour cream will be a problem (though you did mention a small cooler for milk, so maybe you can bring a small container... good for the chili too), once again a block of cheddar will be fine, chives, pre-cooked bacon is fine non-refrigerated or fake bacon bits, etc. I know to most people that's not a "meal" but to me it's a great stick-to-the-bones, hearty, warm dinner for winter camping
  • B'fast for dinner (or for b'fast, lol) - as others have said eggs are fine out of the fridge, especially farm fresh eggs. Again cheese will be fine, you can do biscuits the day before and they'll be fine (too long and they turn into hockey pucks), proper cured bacon is fine out of the fridge, you can use SPAM instead of ham for a Denver omelet (along with bell peppers, onion etc. that are all fine non-cooled) etc.
  • Avocado toast - one of my favorite b'fasts, I like hearty multigrain bread, obviously smash up some avocados, add a squeeze of lemon and a sprinkle of "everything bagel" seasoning
  • Steak!!!! - hold on, stay with me here... if you get something like a big TriTip and freeze it, it'll be absolutely fine just wrapped in a towel 'til you get to camp the first day. Add one of my favorite instant sides:
  • Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup
  • Bean and cheese burritos with Mexican rice - get creative with different veggies as a filler in the burrito if you want, but I like a basic bean cheese (try refried black beans if you haven't yet). Obviously lots of directions you can go here like quesadillas or even "taco night" with something like sweet potatoes instead of meat (Google it, there are a zillion recipes out there)... speaking of taco night...
  • Shredded chicken tacos - a buddy of mine introduced me to this recipe and it's really good. He uses canned, shredded chicken is actually not half-bad if you spice it up with some seasonings when you heat it. He did a couple tins of the chicken, a small bottle of salsa verde (non-refrigerated obviously), and a small can of diced green peppers and it was awesome... but you can use whatever you like to give it more flavor.
  • If you have a "pie iron" you can also use things like SPAM and the canned shredded chicken to make various "hot pocket" like things. Obviously a SPAM and cheese works, you can do a chicken philly cheesesteak type of thing, again Google it and there are a million recipes, even specific "vegetarian" ones that should be friendly to no refrigeration. Or with any of the meat ones sub in any canned meat that you like
That's what I had on the top of my head, but if I think of more I'll add them later...

-TJ

Last edited:
Reactions: 4wheelspulling

World Traveler III

Nokomis, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Fazio
Eggs last a long time, even if they were previously refrigerated. Freeze meat then either put it in a small cooler or a simple cooler bag and wrap it with your blankets. Most condiments are fine to not refrigerate, many never need refrigeration even if it is stated on the bottle (vinegar and salt are preservatives). Cured meat and cheeses last a long time, paired with a favorite cracker, some nuts, and a jar of olives can make for a nice romantic meal with red wine. You could even precook meals and freeze them, just make sure to pull them out early enough to defrost. If you plan everything out, your frozen meat/meals can be the ice in a small cooler, thus enabling you to pack it into the smallest one available. To forgo refrigeration all together look into canned/packaged meats or get creative with cured salami's etc. You can throw together a jambalaya with dried goods and fresh vegetables or with dehydrated vegetables if you want everything to be storable. Fresh onions, carrots, potatoes, even celery can easily last a weekend. If you really want to be die hard you could just do PB&Js, if you are concerned over not refrigerating the jam/jelly then use honey instead...and/or bananas. Have salted pork or canned ham for dinner, maybe with mac-n-cheese, and the leftovers in an omelette the next morning.

Reactions: tjZ06