Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

I started this series on my YouTube channel last week as we ran into the North Country of NH in hopes of catching Pittsburg in full color. Honestly, we were 1 week late.. What we did get was a fantastic show Pittsburg south into Colebrook, Dixville Notch and further to Grafton Notch! Evans Notch was also a great catch as we traveled north.

Tomorrow we head off to run my route into Osceola Vista WMNF Campground and check the color around Sandwich Notch. I have a couple of routes/roads I'd like to explore as well in that region. My report on that section will follow (if so interested).

My impression is the foliage season will happen quick this year! Get on out there and enjoy some of Mother's beauty!

As always my videos are at: Byways no Highways . Parts 5,6&7 are of the region North. Part 8 entered into some formerly unknown regions for us. That was exciting and a spot/run for probably next week as the color forms there!

Reactions: Dusther210

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Just returned from our south WMNF Foliage run. The main statement is: Don't wait any longer to get out there! It's here and going fast!

I took a few new roads both going up and returning to add to the excitement of the journey. Much more info coming as I start to upload videos at:
Byways no Highways

Stay tuned!

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

On a whim, at around 11 or noon, we took off from Greater Boston to take a look at what the southern-most portion of the Hamster Ride trail looks like. Once we got to the Dukin Donuts in Hollis and started the trip, it was apple orchards, pumpkin patch farms for miles, which also took some of our time because we had to stop for some apple cider donuts. Lull Farm is a nice little spot.

Because we had not planned it, we didnt have time to camp over night, so we just went up as far as Wilton and got off the Hampster at Forest St. And headed south. Stopped at a cool little hot dog shack (Dog House). Good kraut dogs and they also have cider, hot home made soups, and ice cream, etc. Not a bad little diversion if you want to make that side trip.

Anyway, this portion, a lot is paved but very narrow. And there is a pretty good share of it dirt and gravel as well, with a small portion of rutted, rocky narrow trail where I bothered to put it in 4x4 as a precaution.

Some beautiful houses, farms and foliage to see, even when you think you are nowhere

Last edited:
Reactions: RJ Howell

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Hi RJ,

We were up in North Woodstock, Lincoln, and through Franconia Notch up to Bethlehem this past weekend and you were right. Northerly and higher altitudes, the broadleaf trees are already bare. South of Concord things are still a bit colorful, though. However, for anyone reading this who may have "oohed and aaahhed" over some New England foliage this fall, be aware that we were basically in drought conditions. However beautiful you may have thought the colors, they were less vibrant and more dull this year than normal

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Ya, colors went quick this year! My area (Auburn, NH) was brilliant for a week. We're losing leaves like crazy now, still some color, yet that beautiful brilliance is past!

If you caught, it was awesome this year! Found some very unique spots this year for following years foliage runs!