Launch Member

Advocate III

Midlothian, VA, USA
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Turner
Member #

I see that many people are using Garmin inReach or similar to connect and run Gaia on iPad when you are driving. My question is what all versions of Garmin or other devices are people using. for example I have a WiFi only iPad mini that I was planning on using for wayfinding and the only garmin I have is an old Etrex that I used for hunting and hiking. Any suggestions and info are greatly appreciated

Bama_Kiwi

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Christchurch, New Zealand
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Frank
Member #

Yep, the Garmin GLO2 is excellent.

I put some 3M Command Strip velco on mine so I can stick it at the top of my wind shield when its in use, but I can take it down when not needed or if I need to charge it.

Reactions: Turnerxc

Blueberryjl

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Pebble Beach, Del Monte Forest, CA, USA
First Name
Dominic
Last Name
Encerti
Member #

Currently running a Garmin inreach+ on a ram mount charing stand. I highly recommend it along with the earth mate app that allows for online navigation and importing of gpx files(just like Gaia) but included with your subscription to in reach. Also allows you to text from anywhere on the trail using bluetooth.

Reactions: Turnerxc

Abreu93

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Berwick, PA, USA
First Name
Erickson
Last Name
Abreu
that garmin Glo 2 is phenomenal. i read it has 13 hours of battery life. how accurate is that? has anyone had it running an entire day w/o any issues?

Bama_Kiwi

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Christchurch, New Zealand
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Frank
Member #

that garmin Glo 2 is phenomenal. i read it has 13 hours of battery life. how accurate is that? has anyone had it running an entire day w/o any issues?
I got about 6 hours out of mine the last time I used it and it wasn't fully charged. The tricky part is there's no intelligent way (that I have discovered) to know its battery level. But, I would imagine 10-13 hours of battery life is within the realm of possibility.

But, aside from that, you can power it from a USB and it comes with a cable.

Reactions: Abreu93

Abreu93

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Berwick, PA, USA
First Name
Erickson
Last Name
Abreu
I got about 6 hours out of mine the last time I used it and it wasn't fully charged. The tricky part is there's no intelligent way (that I have discovered) to know its battery level. But, I would imagine 10-13 hours of battery life is within the realm of possibility.

But, aside from that, you can power it from a USB and it comes with a cable.
i am really feelin this Garmin Glo 2 idea... i run Backcountry nav instead of gaia. will it work just as good?

Reactions: M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
i am really feelin this Garmin Glo 2 idea... i run Backcountry nav instead of gaia. will it work just as good?
I used to Use BCN, PRO. and I love it... but I switched from android to IOS, so unfortunately it doesn’t work For me any more... After using GAIA for about a year now I have come to the conclusion they are both good platforms, but BCN is slowly loosing map support

Abreu93

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Berwick, PA, USA
First Name
Erickson
Last Name
Abreu
I used to Use BCN, PRO. and I love it... but I switched from android to IOS, so unfortunately it doesn’t work For me any more... After using GAIA for about a year now I have come to the conclusion they are both good platforms, but BCN is slowly loosing map support
thats been a slight worry of mine so far. i like BCN because of the one time payment. i dont want to pay a monthly fee for gaia since i only head out every few months.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
thats been a slight worry of mine so far. i like BCN because of the one time payment. i dont want to pay a monthly fee for gaia since i only head out every few months.
That’s my biggest gripe as well.. wait until Overland Bound 2.0 is released... I heard rumor that it will have some neat features ported in to the nav portion that aren’t offered in any other nav app.

Abreu93

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Berwick, PA, USA
First Name
Erickson
Last Name
Abreu
That’s my biggest gripe as well.. wait until Overland Bound 2.0 is released... I heard rumor that it will have some neat features ported in to the nav portion that aren’t offered in any other nav app.
do we have any info of the release date? i signed up for the beta but nothing else after that

Reactions: M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Beta was released last week, build 2 was released today. Right now it has basic forum capabilities that we are working through... Go to the official 2.0 thread and the beta release information is posted on page 4 or 5, I linked it on the last page of the thread as well.