Contributor III

Boston, MA, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Micheal
Member #

Hey all,

I recently moved up to Boston from El Paso, Texas and took a 28 day camping trip across the southern part of the country then came up the Appalachian Trail (sort of). This is my first post on here but I have been a member for about 6 months.

I have a few questions pertinent to the region and my truck. I am from the desert and am used to wide open spaces where you just have to dodge the occasional dead cactus!
I am concerned that my Chevy 1500 will not fit on some or most of these trails. Is this a valid concern?

Also, I haven't really been able to find much to get out and explore off road wise. I am used to having vast amounts of public land to explore.
What are some good resources to find trails in the region?

If there is anything else y'all think I need to know considering I'm from the desert and have never been off-road in a forest I would appreciate the wisdom.

Thanks

Reactions: Road

BLeBlanc

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

North Billerica, Middlesex County, Massachusetts, United States
First Name
Brian
Last Name
LeBlanc
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC1MVF
Welcome to the northeast. I hope you’re enjoying it so far.

You’ll be fine on most Class 6 roads and similar roads around New England. But I have have been on some trails and Class 6 roads that were very tight for my Tacoma and have the scratches and tents to show it.

Reactions: sourcetags

wigsajumper

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Maine, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Wiggin
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Welcome to the North East! Spent some time in El Paso TX, and southern AZ. There isn't as much elbow room compared to TX. Majority of Land in this is are Privately owned. There are some trails around but not like what you might be used to. For touring and camping maybe check out Maine North Woods. Most of the land is owned by Paper companies but the roads are open to public (for a fee) and there are first come first served camp sites all over that area.

Weather can be a big gotcha around here. Just traveling an hour inland from the coast can mean the difference between rain and snow.

Reactions: Road and sourcetags