Contributor I

New York, NY, USA
First Name
Nav
Last Name
Singh
Member #

Hi All,

My name is Nav and I'm new to this forum. I got interested in overlanding from a couple of videos on YouTube; now I'm sucked in. Anybody from the NYC area? I do like to be outdoors (Trail biking out in LI and sometimes down hill in New Hampshire). I think overlanding is the perfect to explore parts that I'll never get to go otherwise.

I am currently searching for my rig; a Lexus GX460. I'm hoping to get one in about 2 months; looking on Autotrader and Car Gurus daily. I plan to mod it mildly. Does anybody know reliable shops in the Tri-State area?

I hope to see some folks here on the trails one day.

gjkoenig

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger III

NJ, USA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Koenig
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UQW
Hi All,

My name is Nav and I'm new to this forum. I got interested in overlanding from a couple of videos on YouTube; now I'm sucked in. Anybody from the NYC area? I do like to be outdoors (Trail biking out in LI and sometimes down hill in New Hampshire). I think overlanding is the perfect to explore parts that I'll never get to go otherwise.

I am currently searching for my rig; a Lexus GX460. I'm hoping to get one in about 2 months; looking on Autotrader and Car Gurus daily. I plan to mod it mildly. Does anybody know reliable shops in the Tri-State area?

I hope to see some folks here on the trails one day.
Hello Nav, welcome. I too am a newbie here and not to far from you (across the Hudson). I am mostly interested in fixing up my rig and getting back into camping - anywhere away from this area. Unfortunately, the NY/NJ/CT area has lost so much open space, (probably never had much to begin with) it would take a good ride to find scenic trails. The west is where it's at from what I can tell in my limited experience/knowledge. I see overlanding rigs from time to time so I am sure there are plenty of body shops that could do front/rear bumpers and roof racks, difficulty would be in sourcing parts. Any mechanic can do suspension. Good luck.

Nav Si

Rank 0

Contributor I

New York, NY, USA
First Name
Nav
Last Name
Singh
Member #

Thanks @gjkoenig. Besides looking for my rig online, I came across Mainline Overland and they seem pretty legit (though they might be expensive). Any experience with them? They have a shop in PA and I'd be willing to go out there. Any list of upgrades to get started? I was thinking sliders as the first thing; even before the lift.

gjkoenig

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger III

NJ, USA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Koenig
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UQW
Thanks @gjkoenig. Besides looking for my rig online, I came across Mainline Overland and they seem pretty legit (though they might be expensive). Any experience with them? They have a shop in PA and I'd be willing to go out there. Any list of upgrades to get started? I was thinking sliders as the first thing; even before the lift.
I would seriously watch Michael's YouTube videos on getting started and those explaining the different types of equipment. I found his opinions and suggestions to be spot on. I would not jump in worrying about equipment until you watch and learn.

TwoRoadsOverland

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Glen Cove, NY, USA
First Name
Max
Last Name
Cheney
Member #

Welcome! I'm on Long Island. Definitely check Michael's videos, great advice all around. As a North-East overlander, I've found it really to try to find the balance between offroad capability and on-road manners. I've driven my XJ out to Oregon and back, and while the West has some incredible trails and landscapes; there's still so much to explore here in the North East, even if that does mean a bit more time on pavement.