Charleston, WV, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Dodd
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8MGA
I just received my Technician License a few weeks ago. Months ago, I purchased a Baofent UV5-R to listen while to local traffic (not hearing much). Anyhow, now that I have my license, considering getting a mobile radio. I have a few questions on installation and equipment.

First off has to do with the antenna. My rig is my daily driver and I spend 95% of my time in town. I was wondering about the possibility of running a smaller antenna daily, but with the ability to easily screw on a larger one for trips. Is that common? Any special considerations to doing this? I also have a low garage opening. My clearance is about 12" above my roof line (6" above my Fore Runner Rack). With my 4Runner, where is the most common place people install antenna? Driller the roof is out of the question.

My second question is about the transceiver itself. To the best of my knowledge, there are 2 digital repeaters in my area, both running System Fusion. Would the Yaesu FTM-400XDR be a bad choice? Any others I should consider over it?

jkxranger

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Oregon
First Name
Adrian
Last Name
Simms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC7CJB
I run a dual band 144/440 Larsen antenna with a NMO mount so I can remove it if needed...but with that said it is only about 35" tall, and barely tall as the cab of my truck. Never had any issues with it connected to my Yaesu FT 7900.

Reactions: carb850

Sodog

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Covina
First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Hearn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG6NBH
I just received my Technician License a few weeks ago. Months ago, I purchased a Baofent UV5-R to listen while to local traffic (not hearing much). Anyhow, now that I have my license, considering getting a mobile radio. I have a few questions on installation and equipment.

First off has to do with the antenna. My rig is my daily driver and I spend 95% of my time in town. I was wondering about the possibility of running a smaller antenna daily, but with the ability to easily screw on a larger one for trips. Is that common? Any special considerations to doing this? I also have a low garage opening. My clearance is about 12" above my roof line (6" above my Fore Runner Rack). With my 4Runner, where is the most common place people install antenna? Driller the roof is out of the question.

My second question is about the transceiver itself. To the best of my knowledge, there are 2 digital repeaters in my area, both running System Fusion. Would the Yaesu FTM-400XDR be a bad choice? Any others I should consider over it?

That radio is a ok radio and if you can just get the adapter to run a small dual band mag mount. Get on radio reference and find the active repeaters in your area then load them and get on them. Now radios are like people and each does something good and something bad. I’m not a yaesu fan just because the menu and how you dig for the basic stuff and like my kenwoods and icoms for the ease but they all work.

Reactions: carb850 and TerryD

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I run a 18" long Tram NMO antenna I got from Amazon for $12 and its been a trooper. It's been bent, mangled into the roof of the Nissan garage on a lift and just generally abused. I was running a longer antenna occasionally with some gain (and 6m in it) but I honestly never noticed enough difference in everyday use to bother putting it on anymore.

I'm a Kenwood mobile fan myself. I have a few Yaesu radios though and haven't been disappointed in them. The 400 also has APRS capability and that can be fun to play with. @theorangekl and I were using it on a OB trip a few months ago and it worked pretty well for us.

tacoclifford

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Stony point, ny
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Cirrilla
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2RMS
The 400xdr is a great choice. Has plenty of features to for you to grow into as your knowledge and skills get better. System Fusion is pretty cool too. And it’s super easy to get into with the 400. I personally like the screen layout and how easy the eyes can pick up the important information at a glance. Aprs is a handy feature Aswell and it’s pretty easy to operate while on the go.

As for the antenna. Iv seen little black ones that are maybe 6” tell. It’s a little black cylinder. Iv seen them on the back of cop cars many times too

I run a tram 1180 dual band antenna mounted to an adjustable trunk lip mount attached to the hood of my daily. It’s a 4’ antenna and it sticks above my roof line a foot or so. It works okay. Could be better if it was mounted higher but it still works and I don’t sacrifice overall height either.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Congrats on getting your license.

You can't really go wrong with a radio from the big 3 (Kenwood, Icom, Yaesu) just find the one that has the options you want and is within your price range.
APRS can be a good tool but there are really only 2 radios that have built in APRS that allow you to also talk on the radio at the same time, the Kenwood Tm-D710G and the Yaesu FTM-400. If you choose to go with a radio that does not have built in APRS you can always make a stand alone APRS radio later on if you desire though it will need a separate antenna.

A hole through the roof is the best option, but since that is not an option for you the next easiest option is a fender NMO bracket. You could run a longer antenna all the time if you wanted.
You could fasten a mount to it and run a long/short antenna when needed. You would have to be mindful of ground plane.
Frontrunner makes a fold over antenna mount for their racks that you may be able to use. Antenna Mount - by Front Runner

Last edited:

Kenstaroni

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Nashville, TN
Member #

I've got a cheap dual band stubby antenna similar to a Laird that I got off amazon for like $20...I run that daily and a comet SBB5 when on the trail (comet hits my garage door and I've already broken one..haha). Both preform adequately on the trail and in town, although I'm sure the Comet has better range and is no doubt a better antenna.

I went with first and ICOM 5100, then an 2730a. The ability to mount the display separately from the unit was a big draw to me on both radios. The 5100 display was too big for my liking so I sold it and got a 2730a. No where I'd really "want" to mount the entire unit that's accessible so being detachable is a big help in that regard. Unit is in glove box, display on a 67 designs mount on my Expedition Essentials T4RPAM, easy peasy.

I went PL259 this time around instead of NMO. Pl259 plays much nicer with offroad antenna mounts, ditch brackets, etc. If you're going through the actual roof of the truck then NM0 is slimmer profile and probably the way to go.

Prerunner1982

Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

For what it's worth there are NMO that use a 3/8" center so they may be able to be used with a normal 3/8x24 style antenna mount if the mounting area is large enough for the round NMO to mount to.
This may also make it a little easier to drill a hole in the roof of a vehicle.

carb850

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Charleston, WV, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Dodd
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8MGA
Thanks for all the replies. I logged into a local radio club net and one of the guys is running Yaesu FTM400 in his Jeep. I made contact and hoping to schedule a time to get a demo and hands on in person.

I didn't know that Front Runner had the rotating mount for the racks, I looked but must have missed it. Thanks for pointing that out. I will have to decide weather hood, roof, or somewhere on the back gate will be my best location. Oh, I was told a local expert did lots of testing in my area and concluded a 1/4 wave 2M antenna was the best compromise for my area.

Reactions: TerryD

Prerunner1982

Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

In the city or hilly/mountainous areas 1/4 wave antennas can work good to hit the high repeaters (on top of buildings/towers/mountains) as they have a higher takeoff angle (signal goes more up as it goes out).
Where as a longer antenna will have more gain and the signal will be more towards the horizon or right into the side of the mountain as the case may be.

-Yeti-

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N4MAL
In the city or hilly/mountainous areas 1/4 wave antennas can work good to hit the high repeaters (on top of buildings/towers/mountains) as they have a higher takeoff angle (signal goes more up as it goes out).
Where as a longer antenna will have more gain and the signal will be more towards the horizon or right into the side of the mountain as the case may be.
Congrats on your license! I'm running the FT400XDR with a Larsen 2/70. If you have room on the rack, I'd recommend a 1/2 with a folding base or something super flexible like the Larsen

I'm not sure but I think the 400XDR is no longer on sale for $170 off. As for it's overall use and APRS, love it. Looking forward to getting in to more of its functions as time allows.

carb850

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Charleston, WV, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Dodd
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8MGA
I’m new to this industry. Do you expect this long ‘sale’ is the new regular price or will they likely go back up? If they do go back up, full retail?

kiloxraysierra

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kitchener, ON, Canada
First Name
Kirk
Last Name
Sinclair
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA3KXS
I’m new to this industry. Do you expect this long ‘sale’ is the new regular price or will they likely go back up? If they do go back up, full retail?
I’ve only been a Ham for a year, so fairly new to the industry too. I will say I was watching the FTM-400 here in Canada from December until April. They had several “sales” that ended at a particular date, but there always seemed to be another one with the same discount starting right after. Heck, looks like there is one on up here now as well, ending July 31.

My guess is that another will start shortly after July 31 passes us by.

kiloxraysierra

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kitchener, ON, Canada
First Name
Kirk
Last Name
Sinclair
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA3KXS
I’m not sure I’m qualified to make recommendations - only been licensed a year. I’ve got VX-7R handheld myself (discontinued). It has dual VFOs which I like, but isn’t really critical to me.

FT-60R looks like a solid radio with a similar feature set, but I’ve never touched one so can’t really comment.