Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
So the "brown truck of joy" dropped off a new toy for me today, an Icom V86. Let me start by saying this thing is a tank, in a good way. Its hefty and seems like it could take a beating, its also supposed to be water resistant, so no worries about operating in the rain or if it get dropped in a puddle. Its supposed to have great battery life (19 hours with intermittent mostly standby usage). A few features I really like about this guy is first, AA battery backup option, for $30 you get a AA battery holder. This is great because most of us always travel with some batteries, but we might not always have the time and ability to recharge the battery. Second the charging base it comes with has the ability to limit charge to lengthen the life of the battery.
Function is good, perfect for me. From my back yard I can hit the repeater I use with the rubber duck. It does this at the high power setting (5.5watts) leaving the extra high power level still to go (7watts) It also works very well adapted to my Ed Fong J pole antenna. As far as programming goes, its super easy, but I learned on Icoms so its all familiar to me. If youre not an Icom guy it might not be as easy.
Anyway so far Im happy with my investment, this guy seems like a well built general purpose 2meter radio.
As a side note, my coms "go bag" is an Ogio Tech Vault. It holds everything for this guy well, and is covered by a lifetime warranty.
20200530_173457.jpg20200530_173348.jpg20200530_173333.jpg

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Nice! I haven't seen that model. I have a ID-51 Very sturdy radios.

Reactions: M Rose and Dilldog

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
I've had a V-82 for about 10 years. It's been very rugged, and familiarity with other Icom radios did help, hi hi

Reactions: M Rose

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
Well I have been operating it for a little bit now, Im impressed. I can access the repeater I like from my couch! My wife isnt too keen on this fact but its nice especially seeing how my house is brick, and this is with the factory rubber duck. I have had it running on standby for maybe 4 hours, receiving for about 1 hour, and sending for about 30 min at 5.5 watts total thus far and the battery still reads full. The real test will be out in the shop, its a tin sided pole barn thats grounded. Its almost like a 1400sq ft Faraday cage, lol.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Well I have been operating it for a little bit now, Im impressed. I can access the repeater I like from my couch! My wife isnt too keen on this fact but its nice especially seeing how my house is brick, and this is with the factory rubber duck. I have had it running on standby for maybe 4 hours, receiving for about 1 hour, and sending for about 30 min at 5.5 watts total thus far and the battery still reads full. The real test will be out in the shop, its a tin sided pole barn thats grounded. Its almost like a 1400sq ft Faraday cage, lol.
I need to make a Faraday Cage for my roof mounted A/C unit.