New Member. Thoughts on Suspension upgrades or Lift Kit?

• HTML tutorial

Baytuckey

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Amarillo, Texas, United States
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Michon
I’m new here living in Southwest Colorado driving a 2018 TRD OFF ROAD Tacoma. New to overlanding but changing that this summer.

Recently installed an ARB bumper and didn’t put much thought into the additional weight. It seems to be handling well but definitely sags. Could add a spacers to level but will the stock suspension soften over time due to the weight?

I have a fiberglass shell, cargo box or rooftop tent coming soon and whatever the weight of the gear in the bed. Adding a rear bumper as well.

I’ve thought about upgrading the front suspension and add a leaf in rear. Or Bilstein 5100 shocks with the stock springs. After some research I feel like an OME lift kit with medium load rating is the ticket, but I want to hear what people think. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Reactions: Pindal and Chadlyb

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

39feb5db-34f0-4378-8dc0-aee1a134d5e5.jpg 20180411_161551.jpg 20180514_180511.jpg 20180601_203146.jpg 20180726_185248.jpg
I’m new here living in Southwest Colorado driving a 2018 TRD OFF ROAD Tacoma. New to overlanding but changing that this summer.

Recently installed an ARB bumper and didn’t put much thought into the additional weight. It seems to be handling well but definitely sags. Could add a spacers to level but will the stock suspension soften over time due to the weight?

I have a fiberglass shell, cargo box or rooftop tent coming soon and whatever the weight of the gear in the bed. Adding a rear bumper as well.

I’ve thought about upgrading the front suspension and add a leaf in rear. Or Bilstein 5100 shocks with the stock springs. After some research I feel like an OME lift kit with medium load rating is the ticket, but I want to hear what people think. Thoughts?
Hello and welcome to the OB crew...great vehicle for your adventure platform. Look forward to seeing your build and your adventures. As to your question, yes your stock suspension with mods will not handle the weight. They weren't designed for it. I definitely suggest something adjustable and beefy especially if you plan on taking on rough terrain and not the occasional trail or gravel roads. I've got a 4 inch lift with remote reservoir on all 4 corners with an add a leaf to my stock leaf suspension. I'm now looking at doing front and rear lockers but need to address the slight sag in the rear due to added weight and upcoming mods . So I'm also doing new gears and new leaf suspension to compensate. The weight added lag to throttle response and pick up during highway driving. Just consider all the mods you want to do so you don't spend money twice or three times as your configuration changes. Go big so you make it home is the idea. You don't want to inadvertently break your truck in the middle of nowhere because you didn't think things through. I'm definitely not an expert but I drive The Black Pearl on the daily so I have to take very good care of her . Good luck and look forward to seeing what you choose. Welcome to the Family.

Last edited:

Baytuckey

Rank I

Enthusiast I

First Name
Matt
Last Name
Michon
View attachment 88017 View attachment 88018 View attachment 88019 View attachment 88020 View attachment 88021
Hello and welcome to the OB crew...great vehicle for your adventure platform. Look forward to seeing your build and your adventures. As to your question, yes your stock suspension with mods will not handle the weight. They weren't designed for it. I definitely suggest something adjustable and beefy especially if you plan on taking on rough terrain and not the occasional trail or gravel roads. I've got a 4 inch lift with remote reservoir on all 4 corners with an add a leaf to my stock leaf suspension. I'm now looking at doing front and rear lockers but need to address the slight sag in the rear due to added weight and upcoming mods . So I'm also doing new gears and new leaf suspension to compensate. The weight added lag to throttle response and pick up during highway driving. Just consider all the mods you want to do so you don't spend money twice or three times as your configuration changes. Go big so you make it home is the idea. You don't want to inadvertently break your truck in the middle of nowhere because you didn't think things through. I'm definitely not an expert but I drive The Black Pearl on the daily so I have to take very good care of her . Good luck and look forward to seeing what you choose. Welcome to the Family.

Your truck is dope!

I’m definitely trying to think of all mods and where I want the vehicle, but I could see that vision changing with time. I currently don’t want to re gear.

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

Your truck is dope!

I’m definitely trying to think of all mods and where I want the vehicle, but I could see that vision changing with time. I currently don’t want to re gear.
Thank you.....I wasn't planning on it either but I'm adding a diamondback bed cap, drawer slides, and a 95 qt. Dometic refrigerator to the bed. The weight is killing the pick up and messing with on road speeds. It's worse when it's loaded out with all my gear. 20190215_163324.jpg

Reactions: Nomadik Nova

Baytuckey

Rank I

Enthusiast I

First Name
Matt
Last Name
Michon
Your truck is dope!

View attachment 88017 View attachment 88018 View attachment 88019 View attachment 88020 View attachment 88021
What size tire are you running? I’m currently planning on an OME 2 inch lift with SPC control arms and diff drop. Since I’m new to overlanding I’m not sure what terrain to expect. I understand go big so you make it home, but some of these beefy lift kits with resivors are expensive and I’m not sure I’m at that point yet.

Reactions: Chadlyb

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

What size tire are you running? I’m currently planning on an OME 2 inch lift with SPC control arms and diff drop. Since I’m new to overlanding I’m not sure what terrain to expect. I understand go big so you make it home, but some of these beefy lift kits with resivors are expensive and I’m not sure I’m at that point yet.
35 inch tire. Had to cut and chop a lot to get them to fit. Steel bead lock rims with 1 inch offset to get them to fit over brakes. Oh I hear you there on price. It's all very expensive and make sure you find a great shop to help if you're not comfortable doing it yourself.

Reactions: Baytuckey

Anchor Mtn

US Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fruita, Colorado
Member #

Great looking truck.
I think you should take a serious look at the Falcon 2" Sport Leveling system. Falcon Shocks are made right in Salt Lake City, Utah by a small group of offroad guys... Teraflex... A long time leader in Jeep suspension. They have really put A LOT of work into the Falcon line and it shows. The price point puts it somewhere between the OME kit and a full on Coilover kit but the performance will vastly outshine the OME suspension. If you have any other questions, let me know.
TOYOTA TACOMA | Falcon Shocks

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

Welcome to O.B. I like the way your draw system turned out. I get how you are worried about the added weight. I haul all kinds of extra weight in my rig while out exploring. It is good to ask what others have done before you drop $$$$$ into your rig. Trial and error gets costly quick.

I look foreward to hear about your adventures. Who knows? might be able to explore some areas in western Colorado with you some day. I would love to see Marble Co. area this year. Nice looking toy!