Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Altoona, PA, USA
First Name
Cody
Last Name
Gorsuch
Member #

Hey all!! I am new to the overland community and most of the places that go along with it. I’ve been hiking and off-roading for a long time. Interested in good trails/places to wheel around PA? Other than private property I don’t know many areas that allow vehicles. I’ve heard good things about Bald Eagle. Anyone give me some insight on what trails, times of year it’s open to drive, and experiences there? IMG_8410.JPG

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Welcome from northeast Pennsyltucky @Cody_Gorsuch!

Bald Eagle State Forest is an amazing place. It’s open year round with additional roads/gates being opened in the fall for hunters and leaf chasers. That’s a yearly thing across the state with the gates getting locked back up in January. BESF has hundreds of miles of roads that vary from perfectly manicured gravel to bonafide trails. Overlooks, hiking, general solitude, etc... can be found there. It’s one of my favorite places to go. Are you using Gaia or any other off the grid map app yet?

Cody_Gorsuch

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Altoona, PA, USA
First Name
Cody
Last Name
Gorsuch
Member #

Thanks Wawa! I’ve heard great things and will be making a trip soon just to explore a little before I do any overnight stays. It’s only about 45-50 minutes drive from me. I have the Gaia app and plan on getting the membership for it so it’s actually useful. I also have the purple lizard map for Bald Eagle. Currently running a pretty stock 17’ TRD off-road with some KO2’s so cant get to crazy yet lol.

Reactions: Wawa Skittletits

theogzilla

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate I

Harrisburg, PA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
E
Member #

Welcome! I'm from Central PA. Went to Rausch Creek on Sunday and hoping to revisit again soon. I'll be doing some more research on Bald Eagle after reading it here!

Reactions: Cody_Gorsuch

Cody_Gorsuch

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Altoona, PA, USA
First Name
Cody
Last Name
Gorsuch
Member #

Welcome! I'm from Central PA. Went to Rausch Creek on Sunday and hoping to revisit again soon. I'll be doing some more research on Bald Eagle after reading it here!
Where are you at in central PA? Maybe we could link up for a drive sometime.

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Thanks Wawa! I’ve heard great things and will be making a trip soon just to explore a little before I do any overnight stays. It’s only about 45-50 minutes drive from me. I have the Gaia app and plan on getting the membership for it so it’s actually useful. I also have the purple lizard map for Bald Eagle. Currently running a pretty stock 17’ TRD off-road with some KO2’s so cant get to crazy yet lol.
Haha. You’ll be fine there as long as you’re ok with pinstripes. There are campgrounds and very dispersed camp sites so don’t hesitate to spend a weekend there.

A lot of people will claim that there’s no place to go but BESF is no different than a lot of places around this state. Go for a drive, get curious, and try to get lost. You’ll be surprised how far you can get from asphalt. Check your PM’s.

Cody_Gorsuch

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Altoona, PA, USA
First Name
Cody
Last Name
Gorsuch
Member #

Haha. You’ll be fine there as long as you’re ok with pinstripes. There are campgrounds and very dispersed camp sites so don’t hesitate to spend a weekend there.

A lot of people will claim that there’s no place to go but BESF is no different than a lot of places around this state. Go for a drive, get curious, and try to get lost. You’ll be surprised how far you can get from asphalt. Check your PM’s.
Pinstripes are fine with me lol as far as the dispersed campsites do you have to reserve them in advance?

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign