Vancouver, BC
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Pratt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA7BKC
I've searched all about and am considering either the Odyssey PC1500 or the Optima Yellow Top. I'm only going to be running the one battery in my 17 Tacoma OffRoad and would like Y'all's opinions.

Thanks!!

Brian

Attachments

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I love my "Red Tops". Why Yellow? My truck sits for weeks without a issue.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
If the Odyssey was available when I replace mine I probably would have gone with that. Instead I went with a Red Top.

BrianP

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Vancouver, BC
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Pratt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA7BKC
I went with a Northstar after hearing of problems with Odyssey and reading a review that Northstars and the best AGM for the $$$.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I went with a Northstar after hearing of problems with Odyssey and reading a review that Northstars and the best AGM for the $$$.
Ditto on Northstar/X2. 5 year replacement warranty. Check your alternator with regards to an Odyssey. Some talk that many alternators will not charge them properly. I am not a subject matter expert on them though.

Ry+EmAdventures

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Winchendon, MA, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Laraba
Member #

I have a Optima blue top battery. I've had the battery for close to 5 years now. It's been in my lifted tj running lights, winch, power inverter, air compressor. Then moved to my old dodge ram for a year running the truck and lights. Have never had to jump it. Sat in my barn all winter in the cold, put it in the jeep a couple months ago and fired right up. Just another option

jeepnjeff

Rank II

Enthusiast III

I had installed an Optima Red Top U800 in my Jeep back in 1998. It finally died in 2011. I drained that red top down to almost nothing several times and it always charged back upl. I did start to notice problems with the voltage in 2008 but it always started up and ran everything. I ended up replacing it with a Blue Top. Sears stopped carrying the Platinum/Odyssey and no one else carried them. I got my Optima on Amazon. The only difference between the Yellow and Blue is that the Blue has threaded posts which work great for winches and other accessories. The side posts on the Yellow and Red shouldn't be used for winching even though everyone does it. No issues with my Blue Top and it's been 8 years.