TXJeep

Rank 0

Contributor I

Dallas
First Name
James
Last Name
C
Picked this up today for $300. 4x4, rather heavy duty commercial frame with solid steel floor. Used to be a highway computerized sign trailer

IMG_0461.jpg
IMG_0463.jpg

Bearings are sound but for piece of mind I was going to replace them and get adapters to run 5 on 5 wheels.

Instead, I found a 3500 pound axle, new, shipped for $150 with a 5 on 5 bolt pattern. Straight axle so I do not have to worry about camber issues on a light trailer.

Going to replace the slipper springs with double eye leafs. Trailer should top out at 1000 pounds, if that when loaded.

I'm thinking 750 pound springs, what do you think?

Any thoughts on shackle length. From experience, I know that a bit longer will provide for a smoother ride at the expense of stability.

Im going to run 35's just like what is on the jeep. That is a 6 inch drop hitch on it now with 27 inch tires so since 35's arent really 35's, it should raise the trailer 3.5 inches. The flares are bolt on and relocating them 2 inches north should provide plenty of clearance. Have just over 6 inches of clearance axle mounting flange to frame. Current wheel/tire combo is just under 6 inches, mounting flange to edge of tire. Might have to add a little spacer.

Any thoughts.

Reactions: Mudraider

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

All good, definitely a great starting point, light years ahead of a Harbor Fright trailer. I'd keep the slipper springs tho.

But I don't think those fenders will fit unless you send the 20" north.
And it looks like you will need a raised, not a dropped hitch.

TXJeep

Rank 0

Contributor I

Dallas
First Name
James
Last Name
C
I actually have a 2 inch drop/raise hitch in the garage somewhere., once I change tires it might fit the bill so I will go dig it up. Once I get into more advanced trails I would like to switch it out to a pintle hitch/hook.

Granted, it was unloaded but it was pretty bumpy with those slipper springs.

New tires will be 3.5 inches larger on each side. Right now it has 4.5 inches clearance on the top and just over 2 inches on each side, Figured moving it up 2 inches might work, but we will see. Might have to scrap the fenders.

Thanks

TXJeep

Rank 0

Contributor I

Dallas
First Name
James
Last Name
C
All good, definitely a great starting point, light years ahead of a Harbor Fright trailer. I'd keep the slipper springs tho.
Ive got so much to do that I think I will take your advice and keep the slipper springs for now. I will see how it rides with the new axle/wheel/tires. It might be enough weight below the springs to keep it from bouncing around.

TXJeep

Rank 0

Contributor I

Dallas
First Name
James
Last Name
C
Axle shipped today. Ordered matching wheels and tires, should all be here next week. Hoping to get things together for a late February camping trip with my boys.

Reactions: Billiebob

TXJeep

Rank 0

Contributor I

Dallas
First Name
James
Last Name
C
New axle and tire/wheels on. Should finish up the box tomorrow, hopefully.

Screen Shot 2020-02-01 at 5.25.08 PM.png
Pretty big difference between a 1500 and 3500 pound axle.

Screen Shot 2020-02-01 at 5.25.29 PM.png

If anyone is in the market , this axle was 149 shipped. Got it in 2 days. Of course I am in the same state but it shipped out 12 hours after i ordered it. Not a dexter but dexters come with camber and on a light trailer, I would never get the proper weight on a 3500 pound axles. This is a straight axle, no camber with EZ lube.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Dexter will ship you an axle with no camber if you specify. The last one I ordered they put camber on it in error. I didn't want to wait another couple of weeks for them to make me a new one. Wish I would have. Your correct on the fact of the trailers not being heavy enough to flatten them. I've weighted the heck out of my M-100 trailer. Camber never changed. The nice thing about having camber on my new one is, It gives me more room for the tire to fender on articulation. Too bad my new trailer wont see much past a dry wash.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

New axle and tire/wheels on. Should finish up the box tomorrow, hopefully.

View attachment 138090
Pretty big difference between a 1500 and 3500 pound axle.

View attachment 138091

If anyone is in the market , this axle was 149 shipped. Got it in 2 days. Of course I am in the same state but it shipped out 12 hours after i ordered it. Not a dexter but dexters come with camber and on a light trailer, I would never get the proper weight on a 3500 pound axles. This is a straight axle, no camber with EZ lube.
I do this with every trailer I buy. Always 2000# trailers but I spec a 3500# axle and 15" rims.
And I keep the 2000# springs.