• HTML tutorial

smallfrye

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Colorado
Member #

Part 1/2 can be found here: http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/124244-Nevada-Ghost-Town-and-Mining-Districts-Exploration

The journey continues Nevada - Ghost Towns and Mining Districts Exploration, part 3.

Made the trek back out to eastern Nevada on May 28th, 2017 to explore more of the area and to see what I could find. The agenda for this trip took me through 4 mountains ranges (Kern, Antelope, Schell and Egan) in search of Tippett, Regan, Parker, Tungstonia, Glencoe, Blue Mesa Scenic Area, Rock Springs Pass, Ray, Egan and Goshute Cave.

Out of those areas I was only able to locate the pictographs up Tunnel Canyon, Blue Mesa Scenic area, Tippett (?), Fort Piece Cemetary, the mill foundation in Egan and Goshute Cave (must return :D). The rest I wasn't able to locate any remains but pretty country.

The journey started in Ibapah and the Pony Express Marker.

Starring off into the distance and what is come.

Pictograph's - the only panel I could locate.

The old homestead in the Blue Mesa Scenic area. I wouldn't mind coming back to this area to camp and explore a little more.

Reactions: escape_the_paradigm

smallfrye

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Colorado
Member #

After exploring the Blue Mesa area a little I headed down to try and find the road to Tungstonia and Glencoe. I was able to locate the road and head back to a series of switch-back which I assumed would take me up and over to the other and the mines. Before traveling too far up the switchbacks I opted to do a little hiking to see what I would be getting myself into. During my hike up I got this uneasy feeling (anxiety?) and though the switchbacks where mellow compared to what I drove in Colorado I opted not to go up and go back the way I came.

This wouldn't be the first time on this trip that I had this feeling.

Heading back into the area. The switchbacks are almost directly ahead.

When I got back to the road I headed south to try and find Parker but found a bunch of nothingness. On my way back north I tried to find a location called 'Thomas Place' that showed up on my map but after journey back a ways I turned around since I wasn't quite sure what I was looking for.

Tippetts is awhole bunch of nothing besides a small ranch, cows 2 ponds (one dried up). Just shortly after Tippetts the road splits and you can either go up and over Rock Springs Pass via the PET or continue to Spring Valley Road. Naturally, I opted for Rock Springs Pass but after I starting journeying into the canyon that uneasy feeling (anxiety?) set in and again I opted to turn around.

Leaving the canyon.

I headed back down the main road to Spring Valley Road before heading over Shellbourne Pass and back to hwy 93.

Made a quick stop at Stonehouse, the last time I was here was 3.5 years ago before I headed back to Colorado.

And old truck and structure at what is left of Shellbourne.

Reactions: MBroenkow

smallfrye

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Colorado
Member #

After checking out Shellbourne a little I headed on back to try and find the site of Ray and Egan. Ray there is nothing left that I could identify. The area around Egan there is a old mill foundation, another mill (when entering the canyon), Fort Pearce cemetary, a boarded up mine with water coming out (creepy looking into it) and some pretty scenery.

Long road to somewhere.

Egan Range

Cherry Creek Range

The old mill foundation, you could see where the old mine was closed off a short way behind the mill.

After exploring around the Egan area some I headed back out and checked out Cherry Creek and tried to fiqured out why anyone would want to live here - semi ghost town (interesting area).

The last stop of the day was a quick stop at the Goshute Cave Geologic area. Needless, to say I just read the plaque and yerned to returned to explore the cave. (upper middle of photo is the cave)

Final shot of the day.

Overall, this was a great trip despite getting turned around twice. The scenery was great (mostly green) and their where very few people on the trails. I'll have return to explore some more and try to get to some other areas.

Jet_Pack_Jesus

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor III

Bremerton, WA
Member #

So yesterday was a blast. I got stopped by the cops for going to slow. There was no posted speed limit so I guessed and guessed wrong haha. While stopped quickly made friends with the cop. Because that's what I do. He takes all my info to run my name and to my surprise he comes back and asks me to step out of the truck. Where he is still being really nice, he says he would normally ask for consent to search but because there is now a cop with a dog he does not have to. Now mind you I have never seen any drugs first hand so I have nothing to fear. I tell the cop no need to worry he can use the dog and I would even help him out by getting the boxes down so the dog could sniff them also. After about 30 seconds of me telling them they can do it there are no drugs or even beer in the truck. They then ask if they can do a training on the truck with the dog instead. Haha what a great time. I let them of course

Reactions: Cottonwoody