NEVADA ELK HUNTING TRIP OCTOBER 2018

• HTML tutorial

spartancrating1

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

US
Member #

Just got back from an epic trip of elk hunting in a rugged but beautiful part of Nevada. I didnt get an elk this time but got some insane trail time in and got to camp in a roof top tent under a sky only God could create. I was up hunting in unit 77 and 81 which is where Nevada, Utah, and Idaho all intersect. It is absolutely amazing country. I packed nothing but a tote full of MRE's and Mountain house meals, carried two WaterBricks, rifle, handgun, bear spray, 2 sleeping bags and my Yeti cooler. I filled up the tank and the 3 mounted Rotopax for the very thirsty, gas guzzling 3.8 liter weaksauce motor in my Jeep and hit the road. I hit the trails hard both on foot and in the Jeep and came out relatively unscathed.. set aside a few blisters on the feet, some trail rash on the doors, and a annoyingly lost header to exhaust nut. Anyhow here are some pictures of the trip. If you ever get a chance to explore this area it has a ton of great trails with alot of wildlife to see. On this trip alone I saw plenty of elk, antelope, rabbits, quail, grouse and even a single mountain lion. Pretty intense. Included is a photo of the map where all 3 states intersect and some waypoints on where I set up camp and where I pinned the elk, antelope, camp and even the mountain lion sighting.20181019_114216.jpeg20181019_114206.jpeg20181017_141318.jpeg20181019_172119.jpeg20181019_150907.jpeg20181018_154550.jpeg20181017_132308.jpeg20181017_121636.jpeg20181017_132932.jpegScreenshot_20181020-205045_onX%20Hunt.jpeg

Jahmi

Rank 0

Traveler I

As an avid hunter myself, it's great to see others just enjoying being out here!

You mentioned traveling fairly light with only MRE's and a Yeti cooler, was this due to the potential of coming out heavier than going in?

spartancrating1

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

US
Member #

Not necessarily. I just like the idea of moving camp if I dont find the animals. I can set up camp in about 10 minutes and takes about the same to break down. To be honest an overlanding hunting trip is kind of rad. I dont have the pickup loaded 6 feet high with gear to set up a traditional hunt camp nor do I want to lug a trailer around. This past trip I actually got the opportunity to set up my camp deep into trails that only my Jeep or ATV could get to. It definitely gave me the edge of being very close to the herd without making a long trip in the dark to get back to a traditional hunt camp. I also think it kind of immerses you into a whole different kind of hunt without those creatures comforts a trailer provides. Surprisingly the roof top tent was pretty warm and comfortable for the week and I was up high away from potential predators.

spartancrating1

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

US
Member #

If you need any pointers I can get you on some good trails. I'd say I explored a good number of them. Some got kind of gnarly but most were just intermediate. If you do go back there have a CB or some kind of comms and everything you will need to get yourself out of the shit if it does hit the fan. There is nobody out there and zero cell service. I have an on board cb setup, ham radio, and all the recovery gear needed but even so you get left with a slight feeling of vulnerability. I believe the nearest services were around 50 miles away so be prepared.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
My parents took me deer hunting, starting in the late 60's in the Independence Mountains South of Wildhorse reservoir(Northern Nevada). Over the decades, the deer populations have dwindled from those large golden years, but Antelope and Elk ranges have expanded west from the Jarbridge area. It has been about 12 years since i have been in the back country up there, but it was always my time to commune with nature. The peace and tranquility are cherished memories.

spartancrating1

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

US
Member #

There is still has a high density of animals up in that region. I didnt see too much deer but the antelope and elk are all over the place.

Reactions: Desert Runner