Mid Atlantic
First Name
Eddie
Last Name
Fort
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4CPL
I agree that propane is the way to go for vehicle based camping/overlanding. Much cleaner, safer and easier to source. Plus given the fire restrictions that are popping up out west a propane fire ring is a nice alternative. We just bought one for our trip to CO and UT next month.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I use a lower cost Magellan (Academy) dual burner propane stove combined with a cast iron griddle. Prior to that I was using a Coleman 424 (multifuel) stove. But it was kind of bulky and after a while I was never using the multifuel feature and was just using a propane adapter on it because it was so much faster and convenient to use. I finally sold it and moved to the Magellan which is much thinner and easier to pack.

lhoffm4

Rank III

Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
I jump in here about my Camp Chef. I had a 2 burner. one of the really hot ones It was red. I don't much care about models and numbers. Fifth trip first morning going to make coffee in the morning the brass tube running from the first burner to the second had broken. No coffee that morning. I crimped and folded back the tube and took it to a local that brazed it closed. It was used as a o burned for the rest of the trip. Maybe it was bad luck, but a stove is mission critical for me. I camp in Deserts and wood is a issue for camp fires.

I store and haul my stoves in their packing boxes. The gas lines are packed as they come from the factory. The road was rough, the truck was paced pretty tight. There is no good reason for it to break, IHO. I have and use my Grandfather 's 3 Burner 60's model, I have owned 3 other 2 burner stoves that served me well except the Camp Chef. The Cook Partner I use now is the best made, best flame control I have ever used. I wish I found it sooner.
I am hearing good things about those Partner stoves. I too have tried numerous brands and models. I have used Coleman stuff over 30 years, and Camp Chef well over 20. Like most things that old, I’ve had to do some maintenance. O-rings, regulators, hoses. Nothing major because they are fairly simple and solid. I would be surprised and impressed if even the Partner stoves gave a lifetime of trouble free service. They sure are Purdy tho! May the camping gods be with you always for trouble free gear!