Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Evansville, IN
First Name
Don
Last Name
Rumble
Member #

What is recommended navigation "kit" that a newbie should migrate towards? Tablet w/ xxx software, Garmin device - Overlander, rig audio system w/ nav .... I'm just so cornfused.

Thanks

Reactions: HUMΛN

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
What is recommended navigation "kit" that a newbie should migrate towards? Tablet w/ xxx software, Garmin device - Overlander, rig audio system w/ nav .... I'm just so cornfused.

Thanks
I have found that a tablet running GAIA has been far better than running a stand-a-lone device. I use my cellphone for running Google Maps for driving paved roads, and GAIA for driving the backcountry. I used to run Backcountry Navigator Pro, but over the past couple of years it has been loosing map support and hasn’t been updated in years.

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

Gaia and Google maps seem to be the consensus. It looks like Gaia is about to release support for Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. When they do, they will pretty much own the market. I do own a standalone Garmin (very old one) but I rarely even carry it since having Gaia and Google Maps on my tablet and phone.

Reactions: M Rose

Loanrangie

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Melboure,Victoria, Australia
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Robertshaw
I use a tablet and have an android head unit in my car, i use IGO Nextgen and Ozi Explorer but also have paper maps which i find are easier for planning purposes.IMG_20190609_164744.jpg

Flying pig

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Florence, OR, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
sprueill
Member #

I would like to see know what the new OB app will offer for Nav options. Any beta users or sneak peek reviews would sure be nice

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I would like to see know what the new OB app will offer for Nav options. Any beta users or sneak peek reviews would sure be nice
The new app doesn’t support Nav yet. Right now we are working on testing the forum part of the platform making it stable, reliable, and user friendly. I can say the interface design is pleasing to the eyes and once it’s all working properly it’s going to be even easier to use than OB1 and TapTalk

DCR465

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Evansville, IN
First Name
Don
Last Name
Rumble
Member #

Gaia and Google maps seem to be the consensus. It looks like Gaia is about to release support for Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. When they do, they will pretty much own the market. I do own a standalone Garmin (very old one) but I rarely even carry it since having Gaia and Google Maps on my tablet and phone.
great thanks

Flying pig

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Florence, OR, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
sprueill
Member #

The new app doesn’t support Nav yet. Right now we are working on testing the forum part of the platform making it stable, reliable, and user friendly. I can say the interface design is pleasing to the eyes and once it’s all working properly it’s going to be even easier to use than OB1 and TapTalk
Ok, thanks Slim

Reactions: DCR465

HUMΛN

Rank 0

Contributor I

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Sumer
I sorta have the same question.
I run Waze primarily to “get there” and use All Trails for my treks (Pro version)
I downloaded GAIA but requires log in to look around... has anyone tried All Trails and GAIA to compare?

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I run Waze primarily to “get there” and use All Trails for my treks (Pro version)
I downloaded GAIA but requires log in to look around... has anyone tried All Trails and GAIA to compare?
I tried them both... I had pro version of All Trails and a trial version of GAIA, I switched to GAIA as a free trial and have yet to upgrade it... but I will be upgrading within a week or so... I have a few other priorities first , but before the snow melts I will have the top tier of GAIA

Reactions: HUMΛN

HUMΛN

Rank 0

Contributor I

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Sumer
I tried them both... I had pro version of All Trails and a trial version of GAIA, I switched to GAIA as a free trial and have yet to upgrade it... but I will be upgrading within a week or so... I have a few other priorities first , but before the snow melts I will have the top tier of GAIA
Wow! Thanks for your response. I’ll start poking around GAIA this week!

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I used to run Backcountry Navigator Pro, but over the past couple of years it has been loosing map support and hasn’t been updated in years.
That's too bad. I loved BCN. I was disappointed when I went to my Ipad, it didn't cross over. This would be 5 ish years ago, maybe a bit longer.

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

Gaia premium now offers ALL the Nat. Geo. Trails Illustrated Topo maps. Quite the package:
Gaia Topo
Historic Topo 1900
Historic Topo 1930
Landscape
MapBox Street ID
NOAA Marine Charts
NPS Visitor
All the Nat Geo Trail Maps
National Map
Outdoors
River Charts
Sat Topo
USFS 2016
USFS Classic
USGS Quad Index
A really cool feature you can overlay any map/chart/Sat with a percentage for each. The sat overlay over the old topos is and explorers dream.

Reactions: Munga Brown

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Here's an old blog post from Gaia comparing the two apps. Gaia GPS vs AllTrails - Review and Feature Comparison

All Trails is very hiker oriented. That is also how Gaia got its start. Gaia today has well over 15 map layers which cater to off-road and overlanding activity with the premium membership.

Munga Brown

US Northwest Region Member Rep Oregon
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Central OR Coast
First Name
Martin
Last Name
S.
Member #

Gaia premium now offers ALL the Nat. Geo. Trails Illustrated Topo maps. Quite the package:
Gaia Topo
Historic Topo 1900
Historic Topo 1930
Landscape
MapBox Street ID
NOAA Marine Charts
NPS Visitor
All the Nat Geo Trail Maps
National Map
Outdoors
River Charts
Sat Topo
USFS 2016
USFS Classic
USGS Quad Index
A really cool feature you can overlay any map/chart/Sat with a percentage for each. The sat overlay over the old topos is and explorers dream.
I’m gonna have to upgrade. Thanks for spending more of my money!

Reactions: M Rose and Flipper

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I used to be a stand alone GPS guy then started using cell and tablet based nav and never looked back. I still keep a Garmin unit around with lifetime maps to update Garmin Basecamp but my primary is now GAIA backed up by Backcountry Nav and offline googlemaps.