Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Atherley, Ontario, Canada
First Name
Dalton
Last Name
Hoskins
Member #

I’ve always wanted to build up my own overland trailer, and after browsing the interwebz I’ve sort of thrown together my own build. It’s not finished yet, and the cold weather has definitely slowed me down. But I’d figured I’d show my process of where I’m at. Note I’m no pro fabricator and this is my first time behind a welder, lol. I’ll also attach some YouTube links I’ve taken along the way, note I’m no professional with a camera!

Build links

Vid 1 -
Vid 2 -
Vid 3 -
Vid 4 -
IMG_1531.JPGIMG_1565.JPGIMG_1567.JPGIMG_1610.JPGIMG_1696.JPGIMG_1725.JPGIMG_1930.JPGIMG_2505.JPGAdjustments.JPG

dhossk

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Dalton
Last Name
Hoskins
Member #

For having limited fabrication and welding skills you produced a nice looking trailer. Any plans to add more to it?
Thank you I appreciate it!

My future plans as of right now are based on priority, so as of right now the last thing I need to do would be adding fenders or removable mud flaps. I’ve played with the idea of fenders but haven’t liked anything I’ve mocked up, so I’m going to mud flap route for now.

After that it would just be a lot of r&d out in the bush. I do plan on re-doing the top, I don’t like the camo and how it’s fixed. I’d much rather it be able to open.

I have also drawn up a small solar panel build to run some trail lights, and eventually maybe a cooler down the line. Time will tell.

Again, from a first time welding job I appreciate your feedback!

NissanX_SA

Rank 0

Contributor I

San Antonio
First Name
Larry
Last Name
Evert
I have a few years of welding under my belt and still consider myself an amateur. Some people are just naturals. You have inspired me to fab up my own trailer. I'm going to do a teardrop style trailer. I consider myself a pretty good carpenter, so i figure a giving it a shot will give me a project to keep me busy.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Not too bad at all.
Now that you have the bug, you just wait. It starts out when you buy a 4wd, then you mod it. Next you get a welder and build a trailer. Next you want to build something bigger and "Those sliders and bumpers don't look that hard to make". "If I had a plasma cutter and a tubing bender, I could save alot building my own stuff". Wow...did you see that table top mill for sale...............

dhossk

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Dalton
Last Name
Hoskins
Member #

Not too bad at all.
Now that you have the bug, you just wait. It starts out when you buy a 4wd, then you mod it. Next you get a welder and build a trailer. Next you want to build something bigger and "Those sliders and bumpers don't look that hard to make". "If I had a plasma cutter and a tubing bender, I could save alot building my own stuff". Wow...did you see that table top mill for sale...............
hahaha, this is literally me right now!!! I've been wanting to do a rear bumper on my Jeep Since I bought it :tearsofjoy: But that's a little further into the future!

dhossk

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Dalton
Last Name
Hoskins
Member #

Other then the odd trip down the road to work, today is the first official shake down/trip with my trailer off-road. I took it to my favourite local spot, and it handled great! Next weekends trip cannot come soon enough!

Attachments

Reactions: Dgensheimer