Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Which do you prefer in taste, or recipes?
What types of cooking does your mushrooms lean too....raw in dishes, or cooked first, then added?

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Which do you prefer in taste, or recipes?
What types of cooking does your mushrooms lean too....raw in dishes, or cooked first, then added?
To answer my own question, I love canned mushrooms. I buy the big num#5 can from places like SMART AND FINAL. Strain, then zip-loc bag them. I put them in the freezer till I need them. If camping, a frozen package is thrown in the cooler. Their great in omelet and egg dishes....mmm

theBROFESSOR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Conway, Arkansas
Member #

To answer my own question, I love canned mushrooms. I buy the big num#5 can from places like SMART AND FINAL. Strain, then zip-loc bag them. I put them in the freezer till I need them. If camping, a frozen package is thrown in the cooler. Their great in omelet and egg dishes....mmm
Mushrooms in eggs are always amazing. Shrooms are kinda like toilet paper. Never leave home without it. lol

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
OK, I learned something new...I never thought about freezing canned mushrooms. I can see that being easier than reconstituting dried ones in a low liquid dish like eggs. I'm sure the price is better, too. Cool idea! :)

Reactions: Desert Runner

rsweet

Rank V

Member III

Huntington Beach, CA, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Sweet
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6IHR
Mushrooms are the bomb. Check this link out...https://food-hacks.wonderhowto.com/how-to/ingredients-101-youre-not-using-enough-dried-mushrooms-heres-why-0156087/

Reactions: Off-Camber

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
I like the dried mushrooms for travel. Nuts.com has a few that are really good. I agree with theBROFESSOR about shrooms in an omlet...

Dried Shiitake Mushrooms (Sliced) | Mushrooms & Truffles | Nuts.com
I like them all, just like the canned the most. I could eat them right out of the can. The dried are the easiest to use when on the road. A little reconstitution with some ....juice....and [emoji2]

The dry gives you more options as far as time is concerned. The fresh...figure 4 days, under refrigeration 6?. Canned is dependent on a cooler and it's interior temp.

For those with a fridge.....well you can just smile....you have open options. No pressure, no spoilage worries, and no juggling your food planning because of those limitations.

darjo242

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Show Low, AZ
First Name
Darryl
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7HLL
I prefer fresh. Always pick up a small bunch already sliced when I am shopping for meals for camp. They go great with some ground Bison and onions done on the skottle, or sauteed with garlic and soy sauce then served atop a steak. Better flavor with the fresh stuff.

Reactions: DaveD