Launch Member

Traveler I

Orlando, FL
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
Panza
Member #

Well, last week I headed up from Central Florida to do part of the GA Traverse and on my list of things to do before leaving was figuring out a way to mount my recovery boards while my tent was on the roof. For anything but camping, they are just strapped to the roof tray, but the RTT takes up almost the entire roof on my tiny little Jeep Renegade.

So, I put my thinking cap on for about 15 minutes, went and spent about $30 at Home Depot, and about an hour later I had a functional mounting system.

IMG_3906.JPG
IMG_3907.JPG
IMG_3912.JPG
IMG_3919.JPG
IMG_3920.JPG
IMG_3945.JPG

Now having driven over 1,000mi on my trip last week I can say everything held up well! And, of course, I ended up never needing em for anything except leveling to sleep, but I'm glad I had them with me.

I am going to get some more nuts, washers, some springs, and cotter pins to modify the board mounting posts but other than that I'm very happy with this system I rigged up.

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

Good idea! I had the same idea for mine, but I have more rack available, so I bolted to the rack. This is a great alternative for those who only have crossbars. I really wish the X-Bull traction boards nested better, like the real thing (MaxTrax).

James

Reactions: florida_trailhawk

florida_trailhawk

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Orlando, FL
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
Panza
Member #

Good idea! I had the same idea for mine, but I have more rack available, so I bolted to the rack. This is a great alternative for those who only have crossbars. I really wish the X-Bull traction boards nested better, like the real thing (MaxTrax).

James
yeah I wish I could leave my rack on with the tent but I can't get in and out of the garage with it at that height.

I'm okay with the X-Bull stacking height because I only travel with two, but if I felt the need to carry four I would definitely appreciate the better stacking of the Maxtraxx.

florida_trailhawk

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Orlando, FL
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
Panza
Member #

I went with the suggestion I read somewhere: if you have four wheel drive, you should have four maxtrax. Four has come in very handy for us.
Yeah I get that. I'm sure there are situations where four makes it easier than two, but as I see it having only two just means a bit more work needs to be put into the recovery. I can think of certain situations where having four would be the only way out (bridging comes to mind), but I am quite mindful to not out myself in those situations.