Mounted my Tacoma bed rail to bottom of truck bed

• HTML tutorial

DuncNasty08

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Visalia, CA
Member #

Got antsy about a project i've been thinking about doing for a while, so i did it lol.
Took the bed rail off the bed (the rail below the rear window since i never had a use for it anyways)

20170518_194032.jpg

cut it in half

20170518_201209.jpg

figured out where i wanted them (each side of the bed in line with the edge of the wheel wells so they were "out of the way" but easy to get to and use) and drilled through the existing holes in the rails

20170518_201235.jpg

and then mounted them with some hardware i had laying around

20170518_201225.jpg

now i just need to drill an additional hole at the far end of each one so i can secure that end down also. Probably going to use eye bolts and get some extra T slot nuts to throw in them to use as tie downs.

i know i could have went and bought a rail tie down system but why not just use the rail i already have thats not being used

Reactions: Jasonb

Anders0nic

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member
Supporter

Pathfinder I

Benicia, CA
First Name
Anderson
Last Name
Carlisle
Member #

I cant see how it looks like from the underside, so I am assuming you know that in order to utilize this as a tie down that can handle any type of applied force, you will require a "backing plate" to spread the load a little more evenly, as well as some better hardware. Don't take this as me raining on your parade. Think more of it as me being the drill sergeant reminding you to safe guard your fuzzies...

Reactions: DuncNasty08

DuncNasty08

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Visalia, CA
Member #

I cant see how it looks like from the underside, so I am assuming you know that in order to utilize this as a tie down that can handle any type of applied force, you will require a "backing plate" to spread the load a little more evenly, as well as some better hardware. Don't take this as me raining on your parade. Think more of it as me being the drill sergeant reminding you to safe guard your fuzzies...
Haha thank you drill sarnt! Lol. Nah, it's mostly just to I can secure my ice chest on trios and lighter things like that. Not trying to Jack up the composite bed with too much weight.