Mosquito Repellents

• HTML tutorial

PatriotT4R

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Lillington, NC 27546
Member #

Growing up in New Hampshire Mosquito's were just a fact of life and everyday annoyance. After awhile you started not noticing them as much … Ummm maybe the beer had something to do with that too. Anyhow my wife & kids seem to get the brunt of the attack … maybe my blood is just to old & sour I do not get tortured as much. My goal is to find the best outdoors repellent that will protect my family from the little vampires … any suggestions? Living in North Carolina isn't bad but we still travel up North to visit and go camping with friends.

PatriotT4R

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Lillington, NC 27546
Member #

Hey thanks for the reply I heard Thermacell Radius was an excellent product and your correct it would be perfect if I plan to settle for longer periods of time in certain locations. I'm assuming this product is somewhat bulky?

Get Out GO

Ambassador, Africa

Influencer III

Randburg, South Africa
First Name
Christoff
Last Name
Eilerd
Member #

More than just a nuisance, mosquitos also carry malaria in many areas here. So besides taking prophylaxis we really try not to get bitten in the first place.
Sorry if some of these are obvious but they're usually the answer;
- Mosquito screens / nets
- Long-sleeve clothing at night
- Yes, the Thermacel radius works well (and isn't bulky considering you're probably carrying propane canisters already). Good old mosquito coils work okay as well in enclosed spaces (burn it in your tent / vehicle / trailer before you go to sleep)
- Deet-based spray or lotion. Peaceful Sleep or Tabard are great products but local only unfortunately :worried:, I believe a US equivalent is Off! Deep woods but I don't have firsthand experience with it obviously. There are some alternatives to deet as well (like Sawyer Picaridin, lemon eucalyptus, citronella etc.) if you're allergic.

Happy camping :wink:

Reactions: PatriotT4R

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

I've had great success with the thermocell as well. Mine is a lantern style one. Works great when we are sitting. My spray of choice is deep woods off.

Reactions: PatriotT4R