Morning All, from Marin County, CA

• HTML tutorial

Traveler I

US
Hi There!
I'm Joe, and I'm finally about to start on my first overland Build!
A few weeks back, I bought my dad's old '04 Volvo XC70 off him for $500 when the mechanic told him it wasn't worth fixing and he bought a Crosstrek.
Well, I grew up in that car, and it's the first car I ever drove. Couldn't very well let him part with it for a trade-in at $485 scrap metal price, so I offered him $15 more and it's mine.
It's been in the shop for a week now, and $3425/most of an engine and a good deal of suspension later, it's just about ready for me to pick up in a couple days.
With 146k on the clock, and at just shy of $4000 in already, and still needing a new driver's side window switch panel, a new windshield and new seats before the overlanding mods can even begin, it looks pretty pricey considering I could have an identical car in better shape off Craigslist for $2000.
But hey, this car is family, and at least I know what it needs. I'll pay a little more to not have to worry about what might fail any day.
Anyway, I'm rambling.

Volvo XC70 2.5t Overland Build coming soon,
Any advice much appreciated!
I'm thinking badswede lift,
Some meaty tires,
Ipd stage 1 for the torque,
And a decent roof tent.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Reactions: Chadlyb

Jake Wettern | iamjake

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wisconsin Rapids, WI
Member #

Hi There!
A few weeks back, I bought my dad's old '04 Volvo XC70 off him for $500 when the mechanic told him it wasn't worth fixing and he bought a Crosstrek.
Well, I grew up in that car, and it's the first car I ever drove. Couldn't very well let him part with it for a trade-in at $485 scrap metal price, so I offered him $15 more and it's mine.
It's been in the shop for a week now, and $3425/most of an engine and a good deal of suspension later, it's just about ready for me to pick up in a couple days.
With 146k on the clock, and at just shy of $4000 in already, and still needing a new driver's side window switch panel, a new windshield and new seats before the overlanding mods can even begin, it looks pretty pricey considering I could have an identical car in better shape off Craigslist for $2000.
But hey, this car is family, and at least I know what it needs. I'll pay a little more to not have to worry about what might fail any day.
Anyway, I'm rambling.

Some meaty tires,
And a decent roof tent.

Hi Joe and welcome to OB! Nice rig and I'm excited to see some pics! Safe travels and enjoy those open roads!

NightCrawler

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Moreno Valley, Ca
First Name
Steven
Last Name
DeLong
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7DTH
Hi There!
Anyway, I'm rambling.

Some meaty tires,
And a decent roof tent.

Hello Joe from Southern California and welcome to OB!!! That is a very touching reason to do the build...its not about the money at that point...it about the memories. Well done sir and I can't wait to see the photos as well. Good luck Brother!!!

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

Hi There!
Anyway, I'm rambling.

Some meaty tires,
And a decent roof tent.

Hello Joe and welcome to the OB crew