Traveler III

Sloatsburg, NY, USA
First Name
Linda
Last Name
Dantico
Member #

Hi all,

Anyone from Montana? My friend and I will be traveling there next year and hope to do some overlanding / fly fishing. And suggestions?

Reactions: FishinCrzy

David C Gibbs

Rank VI

Member III

Boise, Idaho
First Name
David
Last Name
Gibbs
Member #

I live in Boise, ID - and just returned from a trip to West Yellowstone. Google "Arrick's Fly Shop" these guys know these rivers and where to fish within Yellowstone N.P.. They can assist you with a guide and Drift Boat to do sections of the Madison and Gallatin Rivers. [HIghly Recommended - if you want to catch fish] They carry the excellent maps from the American Adventure Association... they're 10.00 bucks ea. We have the 5 that make up the great Yellowstone eco-system. Research the Henry's Fork of the Snake in Idaho since you're that close. Warning that the fish at Island Park have PHd's and very picky about matching the hatch. Gibbs

LindaAnn38

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler III

Sloatsburg, NY, USA
First Name
Linda
Last Name
Dantico
Member #

I live in Boise, ID - and just returned from a trip to West Yellowstone. Google "Arrick's Fly Shop" these guys know these rivers and where to fish within Yellowstone N.P.. They can assist you with a guide and Drift Boat to do sections of the Madison and Gallatin Rivers. [HIghly Recommended - if you want to catch fish] They carry the excellent maps from the American Adventure Association... they're 10.00 bucks ea. We have the 5 that make up the great Yellowstone eco-system. Research the Henry's Fork of the Snake in Idaho since you're that close. Warning that the fish at Island Park have PHd's and very picky about matching the hatch. Gibbs
Much appreciated thank you! We’re super excited to get out there.

David C Gibbs

Rank VI

Member III

Boise, Idaho
First Name
David
Last Name
Gibbs
Member #

Hi Linda,
If your not a Trout Unlimited member, this is a great place to start. The mags are quarterly, has resources, and great articles! Summer 2020 arrived after we returned from our Henry’s Fork, Madison and South Fork Snake in Idaho trip... laughed my rear off, reading the “Classics” page. DG

Reactions: Ubiety

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Hwy 200 between Missoula and the Continental Divide follows the Blackfoot River; a beautiful drive and I understand some great fishing (I am a saltwater fisher and don't do too much fresh water fishing - but am intrigued by the game of fly fishing!). If you do transit the 200 stop in Ovando at The Stray Bullet for an awesome meal or at Trixi's for a cold one.

Can't help you much on the fishing spots but have spent some time exploring that great state - feel free to private message me if you feel I can help find a route through MT.

Enjoy!

Maverick9110E

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Louisburg, NC, USA
First Name
Curt
Last Name
Wall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJF733
Hwy 200 between Missoula and the Continental Divide follows the Blackfoot River; a beautiful drive and I understand some great fishing (I am a saltwater fisher and don't do too much fresh water fishing - but am intrigued by the game of fly fishing!). If you do transit the 200 stop in Ovando at The Stray Bullet for an awesome meal or at Trixi's for a cold one.

Can't help you much on the fishing spots but have spent some time exploring that great state - feel free to private message me if you feel I can help find a route through MT.

Enjoy!

Once i started fly fishing a few years ago, the only fishing i do anymore is Salt Water (mainly surf) and fly fishing. Can't beat it! I'm trying to get some salt water fly fishing in as soon as I can. Just the thought of rocking the fish with a 1:1 ratio is amazing. No crazy gear ratio's on reel's, just you and the fish man!

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Once i started fly fishing a few years ago, the only fishing i do anymore is Salt Water (mainly surf) and fly fishing. Can't beat it! I'm trying to get some salt water fly fishing in as soon as I can. Just the thought of rocking the fish with a 1:1 ratio is amazing. No crazy gear ratio's on reel's, just you and the fish man!
I did not grow up fishing and started fresh water fishing as an adult. Pretty soon after that I was introduced to salt water fishing and have never looked back. Mostly fish for Ling or Cabazon and Dungeness crab, salmon occasionally, especially sockeye. I'll eat the ling/cabazon/sockeye but don't really care for the crab - its just fun to get out on the water, fight crabs and make the family happy :) A buddy recently got some property near the ocean and is getting into surf fishing so I am sure that I will be joining him to try that out :)
That said I would like to do some fly fishing - I like the strategy involved. On a recent OB event one of the guys had a Japanese fly fishing setup - no reel, the line was tied to the pole. This looks very interesting!

Maverick9110E

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Louisburg, NC, USA
First Name
Curt
Last Name
Wall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJF733
I did not grow up fishing and started fresh water fishing as an adult. Pretty soon after that I was introduced to salt water fishing and have never looked back. Mostly fish for Ling or Cabazon and Dungeness crab, salmon occasionally, especially sockeye. I'll eat the ling/cabazon/sockeye but don't really care for the crab - its just fun to get out on the water, fight crabs and make the family happy :) A buddy recently got some property near the ocean and is getting into surf fishing so I am sure that I will be joining him to try that out :)
That said I would like to do some fly fishing - I like the strategy involved. On a recent OB event one of the guys had a Japanese fly fishing setup - no reel, the line was tied to the pole. This looks very interesting!
Yessir! Called Tenkara. Very cool for fishing small waters and creeks.

Cascadianoverlander

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Vancouver, Washington, United States
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Davidson
Member #

My buddies and I did an awesome day trip while in Montana this summer. If you go just east of Missoula and take Rock Creek Rd (MT102) to the south you can follow Rock Creek and connect with Skalkaho Rd (hwy 38) and head west and it will drop you in on HWY 93 just south of the town of Hamilton.
I can’t recommend this trip enough. There is a roadside waterfall way up in the mountains and you can fish along Rock Creek for half the day.

Attachments

Reactions: Druckel and Ubiety