Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Sparks, NV, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Cooper
Member #

Hey gang-I plan to head to Moab, Utah in mid to late September from the Reno, Nevada area. I am a total newbie at overloading and I am looking for easy to moderate trails that lead to awesome dispersed campsites. My plan so far is to drive through Elko to Salt Lake City(spend the night) and head out early AM to Moab. I have about four maybe five days planned for this trip. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

redrockjunkie

Rank I

Contributor III

Salt Lake City, UT
First Name
Tony
Last Name
Of Utah
I'd try to get into SLC early enough to hit up the UGS Map and Bookstore at the DWR building off of Redwood Road and South Temple. They have tons of books on day trips and trails all over the state, and in particular a few fantastic books dedicated to the Moab region and Canyonlands. I'm also planning on heading down mid September to the region from SLC so if you wanted maybe we could coordinate and get you squared away with your trip!

Reactions: Dcooper

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Gemini Bridges, Long Canyon, Upper Onion Creek, White Rim Trail, quick tour of Arches national park. Local visitor center has good info and of course searching old threads here for info.

Dcooper

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Sparks, NV, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Cooper
Member #

I'd try to get into SLC early enough to hit up the UGS Map and Bookstore at the DWR building off of Redwood Road and South Temple. They have tons of books on day trips and trails all over the state, and in particular a few fantastic books dedicated to the Moab region and Canyonlands. I'm also planning on heading down mid September to the region from SLC so if you wanted maybe we could coordinate and get you squared away with your trip!
Thanks for the info on the bookstore. I am postponing my trip for a little bit due to some unforeseen circumstances. However, I am curious what your take is on the best time to travel that area weather wise-thanks.

Dcooper

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Sparks, NV, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Cooper
Member #

Gemini Bridges, Long Canyon, Upper Onion Creek, White Rim Trail, quick tour of Arches national park. Local visitor center has good info and of course searching old threads here for info.
Thanks for the locations. As I mentioned in the above post I am postponing my trip for a little bit but I am looking forward to getting out there as soon as I can.

Charles M

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wickenburg, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1CJM
Winter can be very cold and summer is very hot.. lol Fall and Spring can be really nice.

I lived in Green River Ut. about 60 miles north west of Moab for 4 months last year. As mentioned above arches is good and so is National Reef. There are several National Parks within 200 miles of Moab. I went out exploring every weekend. Arches National park below.

20180201_161355.jpg

There are some nice trails going into and up on top of the Book Cliffs just East of Green River Utah. Start by taking the second Green river exit going back towards town take the first right (East) on Old highway 50 after you pass the shooting range there is a road to the right just before the old refinery going up hill to an old military launch control site with a great view of the area. Go up and look around.

After you come back down continue East on Old Highway to Floy Canyon road turn left towards the Book Cliffs. Then turn Left on Blaze Canyon bench road it will take you along the top. There are roads you can take that will take you back to Green river but I just doubled back after driving along the top for a few miles. You can camp out in the area almost anywhere just remember there can be flash floods in some of the canyons.
This is looking back along Floy canyon road towards the interstate in the next photo.

20180327_133211.jpg

Another easy road is Little Valley road going towards Crystal Geyser. Crystal Geyser is a cold water geyser if you are lucky you might see it erupt but don't get your hopes up... lol If you explore some of the roads in that area you are bound to come across a lot of old White sands Missile launch sites. One of the roads you will cross going to the geyser is "New Area 51 road" take it to the east and you will come across several launch pads. After you check them out just turn around and the same road will take you back to the interstate. But don't be afraid to explore other roads in the area.

20180217_161741.jpg

In Moab we went down Chicken Corners it is a beautiful ride heading along the river then climbing high above then back down again. There are a lot of good trails along the Colorado river head east along the river just before getting into town and explore the roads along the river to the south as you go back towards Grand Junction.

20180323_134823.jpg

Places to eat in Green River... For steak and burgers the must stop place is Ray's Tavern or if you want something a little nicer overlooking the Green River stop in at Tamerisk they have great food also.... But be warned those are the only good places to eat in Green River... lol Well unless you want Coffee you can stop in at Green River Coffee company... Ok one other place if you want a quick taco or burrito then hit the Mexican food truck it is actually pretty good and you can take yor food inside to eat...

The hands down favorite dinner place for me in Moab is the Sunset Grill good food best view in town for a sunset the owners are very nice and love to share the history of the place... Sun set grill is a must eat place in Moab...

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Ask the OB Founders about winter in Moab! They slid on Long Canyon. We were on the White Rim Trail at the same time and there were a few serious pucker factor moments. One where I opened my door and took my seat belt off because if my rig and trailer were going to go off the edge I wasn't going with it. I should have had chains and didn't. Truck wouldn't stop even in Low 1 and was sliding. Anyway! 90% of the trail was fine and we should have probably just turned around and taken the long way back. Another guy got stuck in snow and abandoned his vehicle for several weeks on Upper Onion Creek. He made a Youtube video. I guess no different than flash floods or slick mud. Respect the conditions.

Moab is great but not fun in the summer too damn hot!