Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

The humidity dipped slightly below 300% today so I figured it was my best chance to do a CB install. I let my last CB go with my old rig when I sold it so I would have an excuse to buy a new one for the Jeep. This time around I’m giving the Cobra 75WXST a try because it seemed like a good fit for my current needs. My ham radios get regular use but for trail communications and the occasional traffic update on the interstate, this CB will get the job done. It’s also nice to have one-touch access to NOAA weather if I want it. Since I know I won’t use it every day, I installed the hub under the passenger seat and the handset is routed into the bottom compartment of the center console. It has a 10’ cable so when I need it, it’s easy enough to have it out. When not in use, it can just live in the center console out of sight. I tapped the dome light 10a fuse for power because that will allow me to still use the CB when the truck isn’t running so long as the key is with me. But, if I walk away, the CB will automatically turn off (if I forget) after about 10 minutes. A little insurance never hurt to prevent a dead battery.

For the antenna, I went with a simple mag mount with a K40 2’ tunable stick out the rear hatch. It’s nice to be able to park in the garage and this allows me to store the antenna with the spare tire when I’m not using it. My last CB antenna was mounted to my rack. It had better range but hit every drive through clearance gate and prevented me from even looking at a parking garage. Now I can keep everything out of sight when not in use and park anywhere I want. I know I’m getting better than a mile of range with this mag mount because I can talk to the OTR trucks south of my house. That’s plenty for the trail. My SWR is less than 2 which isn’t great but it’s functional. I’ll spend some more time tuning the antenna after the sun goes down.

I’ll update this after I’ve had some seat time with it but overall I like the setup. The ergonomics of the handset are fine and everything seems to work well. But the nicest feature of the 75WXST is that it tucks out of the way when not in use. Good radio for a daily driver.

90095962-C804-4CF6-B709-FDFEE9B18368.jpeg

8B16899A-3BF6-4AB7-A0DA-754F9792D1F4.jpeg

7YODA5

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Texas, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Gregory
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6CHI
I like this setup! I don't have nearly the same space in my daily driven Subaru that I had in my 95 4runner so I've been playing with options and thinking of just getting a handheld but this is a serious consideration.

Reactions: J.W.

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

Glad to have offered some inspiration. I’ve had it installed for about a month now and it seems to work very well for what I need. I have found that when I am not going to be using the CB, I can tuck the handset under the seat and it is completely out of the way. I may end up mounting the bracket to hold the handset at some point but for now I just set it in the cup holder or on the passenger seat when I’m listening.

Reactions: 7YODA5

JimBill

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

San Benito County, CA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Madison
Member #

Nice work and good setup. Since I have several vehicles, I went with a handheld Midland. In the vehicle I can use the 12v acc plug, mag mount K40 antenna, and dash bracket or leave it with stubby antenna and battery pack and carry it with me when I walk off trail. Not as elegant but I have need for the added versatility.P_20190822_194126.jpeg

Big G

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Grants Pass, OR, USA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Cloud
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7MZB
The humidity dipped slightly below 300% today so I figured it was my best chance to do a CB install. I let my last CB go with my old rig when I sold it so I would have an excuse to buy a new one for the Jeep. This time around I’m giving the Cobra 75WXST a try because it seemed like a good fit for my current needs. My ham radios get regular use but for trail communications and the occasional traffic update on the interstate, this CB will get the job done. It’s also nice to have one-touch access to NOAA weather if I want it. Since I know I won’t use it every day, I installed the hub under the passenger seat and the handset is routed into the bottom compartment of the center console. It has a 10’ cable so when I need it, it’s easy enough to have it out. When not in use, it can just live in the center console out of sight. I tapped the dome light 10a fuse for power because that will allow me to still use the CB when the truck isn’t running so long as the key is with me. But, if I walk away, the CB will automatically turn off (if I forget) after about 10 minutes. A little insurance never hurt to prevent a dead battery.

For the antenna, I went with a simple mag mount with a K40 2’ tunable stick out the rear hatch. It’s nice to be able to park in the garage and this allows me to store the antenna with the spare tire when I’m not using it. My last CB antenna was mounted to my rack. It had better range but hit every drive through clearance gate and prevented me from even looking at a parking garage. Now I can keep everything out of sight when not in use and park anywhere I want. I know I’m getting better than a mile of range with this mag mount because I can talk to the OTR trucks south of my house. That’s plenty for the trail. My SWR is less than 2 which isn’t great but it’s functional. I’ll spend some more time tuning the antenna after the sun goes down.

I’ll update this after I’ve had some seat time with it but overall I like the setup. The ergonomics of the handset are fine and everything seems to work well. But the nicest feature of the 75WXST is that it tucks out of the way when not in use. Good radio for a daily driver.

View attachment 107558

View attachment 107559
I like what I see, or, rather, what I don't see. That gives me some ideas for my truck. I have a bench seat so an install underneath would be no problem. I do want to use a mag antennae, definitely. Thanks.

Reactions: J.W.