dugan.rec

Rank 0

Contributor I

Colorado
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Christensen
Hey guys, radio noob here, wondering what your thoughts are on something like the Midland 75-822. I'm not looking to get into HAM right now, just something to have a little extra support out on trips, etc. I use a satellite communicator (Garmin inReach) as an emergency locator, but looking into what my other options are. Thoughts?

Wabbit

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Somewhere out yonder
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Bru
Member #

I too carry an inreach when going out into the field. (phenomenal piece of kit) As for additional comms, I have a Midland MXT 115. GMRS that gives me greater range than a standard FRS handheld. I have the unit mounted in my Jeep and I also carry two handheld FRS/GMRS units so all three can talk to each other. While there isn't a test associated with operating on the GMRS bands, you do need a licences. (no test/25 bucks/covers whole family for 5 yrs)

RideFlyDiveJeep

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate I

Shawnee, KS 66217, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Peterson
Member #

I have that cb and I like it. Served me well for the past decade. I like that you get to have a handheld and an in cab unit in one. I keep the battery packs and the antenna dongle in the center console. Then when I need to hop out I pull the transceiver, and the battery and antenna to help with spotting. I am adding a GMRS unit to the vehicle to compliment my old heandhelds. -Dept. Of Redundancy Dept.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

I have a Midland MXT 115. GMRS that gives me greater range than a standard FRS handheld. I have the unit mounted in my Jeep and I also carry two handheld FRS/GMRS units so all three can talk to each other. While there isn't a test associated with operating on the GMRS bands, you do need a licences. (no test/25 bucks/covers whole family for 5 yrs)
Just an update..
GMRS license is $70 (still no test) and covers your family for 10years.

Prerunner1982

Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

ham......Ham....... you need HAM!!!!! 1586522793168.png
All the cool kids are doing it man.. :tearsofjoy:

The Midland 75-822 is quite unique in that it's "convertible".
If you don't need that convertibility and just like the small form factor Cobra and Uniden both have similar radios as well.
If you decide to purchase the Midland 75-822, order it directly from their website and use coupon code OverlandUSA and you get 20% off which for this radio is $24.99 and drops the price of the radio to just under $100.

GMRS as mentioned is an excellent replacement for CB and is slowly catching on. It beats CB in pretty much every way except the fact CB is still popular and doesn't require a license.
Midland also sells a nice selection of GMRS radios, the same coupon code I mentioned above works for them as well. (with code you can get a 15 watt gmrs mobile radio for $120 or the 5 watt mobile radio for $80)

And while I know you said you weren't interested in ham radio, Colorado does have a pretty nice linked repeater system that covers much of the central and northern part of the state's mountainous region.
While you have the sat device that certainly covers you in an emergency it's something to keep in mind as another tool at your disposal.

What do I run? All 3. I can pretty much communicate with anyone I may run into.

dugan.rec

Rank 0

Contributor I

Colorado
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Christensen
Great info, thanks guys. I have a few handhelds, adding a GMRS might be a good idea.

Is there a good GMRS primer out there to get started?

dugan.rec

Rank 0

Contributor I

Colorado
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Christensen
No, more like some additional info on the system. But if you have those recommendations that’d be great. I’ll probably look at midland as well, I know they’re a solid brand but other recommendations are definitely welcome.

Prerunner1982

Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Really GMRS is pretty much plug and play as it uses set channels much like a CB.
GMRS does allow for use of repeaters though they may be few and far between and typically only in larger cities. To use they may require permission from the repeater owner and changing some setting in the radio.
Some of the Midland radios come with small mag mount antennas, they are ok but you can get bigger/better antennas. Midland offers those too just for ease of finding them, but there are other aftermarket options though. Many UHF (or VHF/UHF dual band) antennas for ham radio are widebanded (covers a wide band of frequencies) enough that they work fine for GMRS as well.

Baofengtech also offers a higher powered GMRS radio for cheaper than Midlands higher power (40 watt) radio.

As mentioned GMRS does have a pay to play license, you create a log in on the FCC website, request a ZA license, pay the $70 and typically by the next day you have a GMRS call sign.
You are supposed to give your call sign on the air every 15 minutes during a conversation and at the end of the conversation.
No profanity, music, etc...

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
It's an opinion. See my tag line. CB's are totally useless. Most people use the wrong antenna and or have antenna issues that limits range to a mile or less. Yes, I have spoke to people on CB before a billion, trillion, zillion, miles away but I can count the times on half a hand.

Get a GMRS radio. More and more people are getting them. They have excellent range and don't cost that much more than a CB. The basic Midland units are good. Use the code overlandus and you can save 20% off if you buy direct. If that code is wrong it's overlandusa. The basic Midland models have 15 watts of power. The more expensive have 40 watts. That gives you range. CB is 5 at most.

As for learning about them there really isn't much to learn. YouTube I guess.

PonoAdventures

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Orange County, CA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Nguyen
Member #

Unless the people you run with have CB radio, I would go with the GMRS radios instead. The license is $70 for 10 years, but it does cover immediate family and no test.

I used handheld GMRS but just bought an MXT275. I like it since I can hide the radio and just pull out the mic when I need to use it. Not their most powerful GMRS, but I use it just for convoys and have the inreach for emergencies.

Jeremy M.

Rank IV
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Mascoutah, IL, USA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
McNeil
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K2JTM
Service Branch
Army
I have had CB, GMRS, and eventually HAM. Save yourself the iterative process and just get a HAM license, its not that hard, truly. I used the no nonsense study guide and the Icom flash card app. I started studying one week before the exam and had no issue.

No Nonsense Study Guide

Flash Cards

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I have had CB, GMRS, and eventually HAM. Save yourself the iterative process and just get a HAM license, its not that hard, truly. I used the no nonsense study guide and the Icom flash card app. I started studying one week before the exam and had no issue.

No Nonsense Study Guide

Flash Cards
Midland also sells a rebranded dual band Ham radio for around $150 now as well. Not true dual band meaning you can talk on both but it looks like a good starter radio. Lower power at 25 watts. Point being there are many affordable options these days that are way better than CB!

Reactions: Jeremy M.

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

If you don’t want to pay the $70 for a GMRS license, you can just pick up a pair of FRS radios and talk on low power to the GMRS folks on the first 14 channels. It really depends on how far away you need to talk and what the person you are needing to talk with has.

CB is realistically good for about a mile in relatively flat terrain.

FRS is good for about 2-3 miles in relatively flat terrain

GMRS can hit about 15 miles on the higher power frequencies in flat terrain

Ham operators regularly get 50-100 miles with a SOTA VHF setup. You can reach globally with practice and the right equipment

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
Around the PNW about 80% use CB or GMRS, I have a 75-822 from Bell CB, tuned and 120 channel, a BaoFeng BF-F8HP and a few Midland radios to hand out to folks without. Antenna has a BIG effect on range. CB with a good matched antenna I get 5 miles with ease, about the same with gmrs and a upgraded antenna.