Michigan Upper Peninsula Recommendations

• HTML tutorial

lkrasner

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

West Lafayette, IN
Member #

I'm a Michigan native, but I've spent far too little time in the UP. I'm planning a last minute trip for labor day weekend with another couple, Probably going to head towards the Pictured Rocks area. Anyone want to suggest a good camping spot that won't be too horribly crowded with the holiday weekend? Given that the other couple I'm taking with me is less experienced, I'd like to stick to a site that at least has Toilet facilities of some kind, but I'd rather be as undeveloped beyond that as possible.

Also looking for any good day trips around the area. Easy to moderate trails, fun fire roads, etc. I'd like to give people a little taste of this whole over-landing thing, haha.

Thanks!

Jeepney

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

MN
We stopped by the campgrounds in the Pictured Rocks area to scope it out, and they were pretty crowded. This was on a holiday weekend too, on July 4th. There are state park campgrounds nearby, I didn't check but those will probably be less crowded.

Make a drive to Two Hearted River Campground, and then further east to hit the lighthouses. The trails are easy, but with rain it can get real muddy and there's always potential for getting stuck.

lkrasner

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

West Lafayette, IN
Member #

We stopped by the campgrounds in the Pictured Rocks area to scope it out, and they were pretty crowded. This was on a holiday weekend too, on July 4th. There are state park campgrounds nearby, I didn't check but those will probably be less crowded.

Make a drive to Two Hearted River Campground, and then further east to hit the lighthouses. The trails are easy, but with rain it can get real muddy and there's always potential for getting stuck.
Nice, I'll see what I can find. I've always had a hard time finding info about trails and such in that area. I feel like it's more underground than most stuff out west tends to be...

lkrasner

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

West Lafayette, IN
Member #

Paging @michiganoverland or join the Michigan Overland Facebook Group for some local knowledge.

And of course, there's the Overland Bound - Midwest Facebook Group. ;)
Joined.

Also not tied down to that area, but probably want to stick to eastern / southern UP, unless someone convinces me I should head up the Keweenaw, which probably wouldn't be too hard..

michiganoverland

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Michigan
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Joined.

Also not tied down to that area, but probably want to stick to eastern / southern UP, unless someone convinces me I should head up the Keweenaw, which probably wouldn't be too hard..
You'll probably get the Keeweenaw as an answer if you ask. There are a few guys who know the UP pretty well in the Facebook Group. I've also got a map on the site of some marked spots (it's a work in progress so no trails yet).

http://www.michiganoverland.com/maps/