Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Eureka, CA, USA
First Name
Laura
Last Name
Manzanilla
Member #

Hi all, so glad I found this site. I'm new as well, so here is my introduction.

1) Picture: I'm blowin' it already.... sorry will post a photo of our rig and update as we build out
2) Location: San Jose, California
3) Rig: Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk with soon to add Smittybilt scout trailer
4) Overlanding Experience Background: Novice.

My husband and I love the outdoors, we love to explore and we have been sedentary for too long. So we made an pact to get out and get overlanding. We have yet to take our "official" overland trim, as we have spent the past few months discussing the "how". We have decided on purchasing a smittybilt scout trailer and having it customized with a few add on features/functions. This was after a long discussion which ranged from "do we need to buy a Toyota Tacoma? Should we invest in a Ford Transit Van conversion? What about the Jeep Trailhawk we already have, can she handle all the gear? .... Well be finally came to the decision to go Smittybilt. You'll see my future posts will be hoping to get your input and insights on the build. I so look forward to meeting other members on the road. It may take us a few months to get going, every journey begins with a little planning, or at least in my head it does. Cheers all...
So I'll reply to my own post. Yikes. We have adjusted our plan and will we keeping the trailhawk as is (Such a primadona) and investing in a Tacoma, no tow behind. Here is "Henry"
in all his naked glory.

Attachments

DoggMan1163

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Big Sandy, TX, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Word of advice unless you are willing to void the
So I'll reply to my own post. Yikes. We have adjusted our plan and will we keeping the trailhawk as is (Such a primadona) and investing in a Tacoma, no tow behind. Here is "Henry"
in all his naked glory.
Warranty on your Taco dont do anything to it I put a winch bumper on mine and voided my warranty

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
Hello OB,

I have finally joined the Overland Bound community, after years of following Michael on YouTube and thinking to myself "This looks awesome, I want to get into that!". I have always loved camping and enjoying outdoors, especially those places that are more off the beaten path and Overlanding seemed to be the perfect way to further that interest. So, a little while back I was looking for a new daily driver and decided to get something that would help me out with this, and I purchased a used 2004 4Runner. Currently the 4Runner is all stock, except for the stereo which I upgraded to something that was wireless Android Auto and CarPlay compatible (It would be awesome if they get Gaia GPS working on both of thes!). I am currently in Alamogordo, NM, which is about 90 minutes north of El Paso, TX. The area here is awesome, we have a good variety of terrains and habitats close by. The immediate area is all desert, with the usual desert stuff, and a large rock-crawling community. But only about 30 minutes outside of town is Lincoln National Forest in the nearby Sacramento Mountains. The scenery there is amazing, with small streams and plenty of forest roads/trails to explore. To get an idea of what it looks like, just look for pictures of Ruidosio or Cloudcroft, NM on Google. While I don't have any pictures of the 4Runner just yet, I will get some and post them up here soon. I am not an experienced Overlander just yet, my wife and I get out fairly often (especially now that we have the 4Runner) and explore what New Mexico has to offer!

I am thinking of starting my own YouTube channel, documenting the build of the 4Runner and showcasing the ability to jump into Overlanding with a stock vehicle, and progressing to a more off-road/rugged terrain capable build. I have made videos in the past and know the time investment that goes into editing and producing the content.

Let me know if any of you are near my area and want to plan a trip or meetup for the local area!

P.S. - I really like the idea of Trail Guardian cleanup events. Few things annoy (to put it lightly) me more than people leaving their trash out in the wilderness, or along side a road. Is it REALLY that hard to cleanup after yourself? Try leaving things in better condition that when you arrived!
Welcome. Look forward to seeing your build thread. Don't forget to check out the 4Runner's registry thread

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Hi everyone my name is Robert aka DoggMan1163 I drive a 2018 Tacoma TRD sport I have been in camping and over landing for many years I deliver oil field equipment and power poles all over the U.S. mainly use a simi truck but I do more offroad in it then my personal truck am always camping in it been in some really sketchy places with it so I do consider it as a Overland rig View attachment 108594View attachment 108592View attachment 108593these were taken in Vermont getting there is only half the adventure View attachment 108595View attachment 108596View attachment 108597
Well at least in the semi you can scout place to go!

Welcome!

Jim

Reactions: DoggMan1163

beatnic

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

pittsburgh
First Name
david
Last Name
kiggins
Member #

Hello, I am David from Pittsburgh. I enjoy my time outdoors camping, kayaking, and biking. Most of my exploring has been on two wheels. I recently picked up an FJ Cruiser ( my previous ride was an Isuzu Rodeo ), and now I am looking forward to new adventures.

Ctullu

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Alamogordo, NM, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Mayo
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5LYJ
Service Branch
U.S. Air Force
W
Hello everyone,

My name is Sam
I'm from West Texas
My Rig: 2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Duramax Diesel
This is my first overland build but have been camping my entire life
View attachment 108622
Welcome Sam,

I also joined recently. Looking forward to seeing your build.
Where in Texas are you? I am in NM myself (near El Paso)

JoelIII

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Camp Lejeune, NC
First Name
Joel
Last Name
Wasson
Member #

Hello, I am David from Pittsburgh. I enjoy my time outdoors camping, kayaking, and biking. Most of my exploring has been on two wheels. I recently picked up an FJ Cruiser ( my previous ride was an Isuzu Rodeo ), and now I am looking forward to new adventures.
Welcome from NC.

Reactions: beatnic

Overland Husker

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Nebraska, USA
First Name
Michele
Last Name
Rivera
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Valkyrie
Hello thank you for having me. My name is Michelle I am from Nebraska. I currently have a 2018 Jeep Renegade trailhawk this is my first trail rated vehicle. and this year was my first experience doing any type of overland adventures(outside of the military) my family and I are hooked. We are currently researching Overland Basecamp style trailers. I am just hoping to get as much knowledge and information as possible. We hope the gain tons of experience, That way when we retire we can go wherever we want.

Attachments

rayit

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Salt Lake City, UT, USA
First Name
Issac
Last Name
Bray
Member #

Hello, I'm new to Overlanding and I drive a 2006 diesel JEEP KJ. The only things I've upgraded on it are skid plates and recovery hooks, otherwise it's stock. I'm located out of the Salt Lake City area and have run many local trails (ground clearance permitting). My little diesel has proven itself a neat and economical touring rig and I plan many adventures to come.

Attachments

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Hello Robert (@DoggMan1163 ), welcome from Oklahoma.

You are in the Southwest Region. Check out the Southwest Region sub-forum for local information and involvement opportunities.

Here is the link to the forum calendar and Meet-Up event page: Overland Bound Meetups. There is a monthly meet up around Dallas, I know it's not real close but then again in Texas close is a relative term.
Or to check out what other members are planning go here: Overland Trip Planning

I am the SW Region Member Rep so if you have any questions let me know.

Last edited:

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Hello Sam (@TexasColoRADo ), welcome from Oklahoma. Don't hold that against me, I am originally from Lubbock.

You are in the Southwest Region. Check out the Southwest Region sub-forum for local information and involvement opportunities.

Here is the link to the forum calendar and Meet-Up event page: Overland Bound Meetups
Or to check out what other members are planning go here: Overland Trip Planning

I am the SW Region Member Rep so if you have any questions let me know.

Last edited:

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hello, I'm new to Overlanding and I drive a 2006 diesel JEEP KJ. The only things I've upgraded on it are skid plates and recovery hooks, otherwise it's stock. I'm located out of the Salt Lake City area and have run many local trails (ground clearance permitting). My little diesel has proven itself a neat and economical touring rig and I plan many adventures to come.
Welcome to Overland Bound!

Don't hesitate to contact your Regional Director @Cendee for help or information. The Regional Director can also get you in touch with a Member Representative that might be close to you and have local information.

Reactions: rayit and Cendee