Launch Member

Contributor III

Hanford, CA, USA
First Name
Benjamin
Last Name
Conway
Greetings,

I am located down here in Florida but will be moving over to California soon.
I have a slightly modified 2005 Jeep LJ (ei: headlights, roof rack, air intake, new engine clutch fan, and some inside stuff.)
This is the first time I have gotten into overlanding but I am building my jeep with it in mind. I use to camp a lot as a kid with the family and Boy Scouts but now I need to get back out there more. Hope to meet up with yall and see ya on the trails or at camp.

Attachments

Low594

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Oakland, CA, US
First Name
James
Last Name
o'Brien
Member #

Hello everyone! Ive been lurking around here for a while now and finally decided to pay for a membership!

Current Rigs (Year, Make, Model, etc.) (way too many projects!)

-2008 Suzuki VStrom650

-2002 Ford E450 SuperDuty ShortBus toyhauler

-2000 Subaru Legacy Outback Limited sedan (prepping parts for 4-6" lift & 30" all-terrains)

-1998 Kawasaki KLX351R (plated)

Past Overland Rigs
-1972.5 Datsun 620 pickup, lifted roughly 3" w/ 30" all terrains & campershell
-1965 International Harvester Scout
-1976 Dodge B100 van, lifted 1.5" front & 31" all terrains

-2001 GMC Sonoma 2WD, lifted 6" w/31" all terrains, desert fenders, campershell, etc

-1999 KTM 640 AdventureR

Overlanding Experience Background
Started in roughly 1990 with my first "rig" a 1972.5 Datsun 620 pickup (bought new by my Grandpa, had over 700,000 miles when I owned it) and many friends rigs (FJs, Chevy pickups, IH Scouts, Jeeps, etc.). Ive never really stopped doing offroad adventures, just had slow periods in my life. Most of the vehicles that I have owned have had All-Terrain tires on them at one point of another, even my '95 Ducati SS944SP could do forest service roads!

Other
IBEW Local 595, Sound & Comm/Low Voltage Tech for over 18 years
Avid photographer
Outdoor enthusiast (camping, hiking, motos, archery, shooting, etc)

Jimmy Schantz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Hello everyone,

I have a 2018 Jeep, JLUR. I live in Georgia.

My wife and I are new to overland, but we both have a sense of adventure. We both have Jeeps so we are not new to wheeling. We are going to do our first overland trip in October. Nothing too big a trip to Uwharrie national park. So wish us luck.
Great place I love Uwharrie

Reactions: Hourless Life

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

Obligatory Intro Post:

Are these supposed to be long? Well, I'm a story teller and a writer so here goes...

Pizza delivery was not my forte, but it was my job during my senior year of High School. My father was in the mob and I really hated his underworld lifestyle so I started taking criminal justice courses at my local community college and as a result did a presentation on the United States Coast Guard as part of a class assignment. I was completely fascinated by the Law Enforcement aspect of the service so I dumped off the pizza boxes and joined the service at the age of 19.

20 years later at the age of 40 I retired from the Coast Guard as a Chief Petty Officer. My specialty was counter narcotics and anti-terrorism force protection. I also did a ridiculous amount of search and rescue and alien migration interdiction operations throughout those 20 years. My shining moment in service was as the Logistics Section Chief for the Hurricane Katrina Operation where I worked in the same room as the Vice President, the Secretary of Homeland Security, Attorney General, and a few other folks along that tier. I've always loved helping others. This was a perfect career for me.

But my Coast Guard career had me spend many years sailing all over the world including 2 trips to Antarctica. So the travel bug and minimalistic lifestyle were already in my blood.

But there is more to the story....

While I was in the service, I became a professional boxing promoter in 2001. Guess I should mention that as it lends to the rest of my story and how I got here to Overland Bound. I've never known how not to work, so one job wasn't enough.

I started by working low level fights for a few years but ended up doing the biggest fights in the world. (Think HBO and Showtime PPV) Did that for around 15 years working with the top folks in the business. Yes, I've hung out with Don King in a Denali. Keep in mind I was still Active Duty in the Coast Guard during all of this.

As part of the fight promoting, I used the fledgeling social media sites (remember Facebook wasn't really online until 2004 and not open to the general public until 2006) to promote fights and became quite adept at it. Eventually to the point where I met some fight fans who were filmmakers in Hollywood and they asked me for help on social media promoting the films they were creating.

All of that went quite well so I ended up starting my own company nearly 8 years ago which focuses on social media marketing. This allows me to do my work from anywhere in the world as long as I have an Internet connection. My clients include folks from small family owned concerns to a Fortune 500 company where I run their Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.

Life has been good. My wife and I have one child together (20 months old who has been a full-time traveler since birth) and 4 older kids from a previous marriage that we both are very close with.

In February 2014 my wife and I sold everything but the business and bought a 40' Diesel RV and started traveling full-time. We typically move around 250 miles every two weeks. In addition to the RV we have a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited which we dubbed "GUARDIAN". We started blogging about our adventures at RVWanderlust (for the RV journey) and Jeepsies (for the Jeep adventures). I'd link them but I wouldn't want to break any forum rules on my first post here. So I'll let you do the sleuthing if you are interested.

It was actually my wife that came up with the idea to overland. Actually, she wants to visit every country on the planet that the State Department doesn't say you'll die in. I think there are currently 185 of them. So I think eventually that's the goal. But for now we're just getting our feet wet into the Overlanding Community.

I ran across Overland Bound while doing research on international travel in a Jeep. YouTube was my friend and I ended up on one of Michael's videos about the map feature which stuck with me. I watched it twice. On the second watching, my wife was eavesdropping and said, "You should join that." So here I am.

What are our plans? Well, for now to start prepping our 2014 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited for Overlanding. Right now it is set up as a moderate rock crawler / daily driver. But we are actively in the process of converting it into more of a full-time overlanding vehicle.

Our first purchase was our ARB 50QT Fridge/Freezer. Our second was a roof rack, a RTT, and an awning which we'll be getting in September. We've already ordered and paid for all of that business. So we're pretty stoked! We were planning on hitting up Overland Expo East this year, but the timing isn't going to work out well for us. So we'll be devouring the content those who make it there put out.

Anyway, that's how we ended up here. We became Overland Bound Member #OB14045 today, and we're really impressed with the site. I can see us becoming supporters of some level very soon. Well done to the entire Overland Bound team!

We genuinely look forward to making friends here and meeting up with folks all over the country /world. Currently we're on a 13 state, 11 month, 2 country tour we've dubbed the Western Mountain Loop Trip. It's been incredible so far and we're only about half way through.

Right now we're in the middle of nowhere Montana. By Saturday we'll be at Theodore Roosevelt National Park in Medora, North Dakota.

So if you can friend people on here, feel free to send me a friend request or follow or whatever. Shoot me a message, get to know us. We really do love meeting other like minded adventurers and travelers everywhere we go. For us, Overlanding is just the next logical step in our journey to visit the world.

Eric aka Jeepsies
(Brittany and Caspian say hi too!)

intothewoods

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Ridgefield, Washington, United States
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Weigel
Member #

New Members,

Welcome to the Overland Bound community! Please take a few moments to introduce yourself so we can get to know you!

A few things you might want to include in your introduction are:

1) Picture! If you have a rig, we want to see it!
2) Location (General area is fine)
3) Rig (Year, Make, Model, etc.)
4) Overlanding Experience Background (Novice or Experienced, you're welcome here!)

We're glad you've found us and look forward to sharing our adventures with you!

In addition to getting to know you, here are the guideline sent to all Moderators of the forums. It's a natural reflection of our community, and what Overland Bound is all about:

From @administrator
  • Overlanding is: "Vehicle Dependent Travel". Nothing else.
  • We will not further define "overlanding".
  • "Capable" depends on the requirements of the trip, and we take that very seriously.
  • You are an Overlander: Overlanding is for everyone who has exploration and adventure in their heart, or, who need to be reinvigorated by connecting with nature. Nature is unforgiving. You must rise to a certain level of personal awareness to survive. Sound right? Overlanding is for you.
  • Encourage uncomplicated ventures into the great outdoors. Don't over pack.
  • Be prepared, and understand basic requirements. Question folks, to be sure they are aware of what is required. Don't assume.
  • Share without reservation, trip locations, and information.
  • It doesn't matter what you drive: The only requirement of an Overlander is that the vehicle serves the job required, safely.
  • We do not care about make or model.
  • We do not engage in "this is better than that" competitions.
  • We DO give advice about how to make your vehicle ready for what you need. Share knowledge.
  • Humility.
  • We respect, fear, and protect nature.
  • "I don't know" is a great answer.
  • We don’t brag about exploits.
  • We seek answers from the community when we don’t know.
  • We engage in the very smallest of interactions.

Nomadik Nova

Rank VI
Staff member

Member III

Falmouth, MA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Nova
Member #

Obligatory Intro Post:

Are these supposed to be long? Well, I'm a story teller and a writer so here goes...

Pizza delivery was not my forte, but it was my job during my senior year of High School. My father was in the mob and I really hated his underworld lifestyle so I started taking criminal justice courses at my local community college and as a result did a presentation on the United States Coast Guard as part of a class assignment. I was completely fascinated by the Law Enforcement aspect of the service so I dumped off the pizza boxes and joined the service at the age of 19.

20 years later at the age of 40 I retired from the Coast Guard as a Chief Petty Officer. My specialty was counter narcotics and anti-terrorism force protection. I also did a ridiculous amount of search and rescue and alien migration interdiction operations throughout those 20 years. My shining moment in service was as the Logistics Section Chief for the Hurricane Katrina Operation where I worked in the same room as the Vice President, the Secretary of Homeland Security, Attorney General, and a few other folks along that tier. I've always loved helping others. This was a perfect career for me.

But my Coast Guard career had me spend many years sailing all over the world including 2 trips to Antarctica. So the travel bug and minimalistic lifestyle were already in my blood.

But there is more to the story....

While I was in the service, I became a professional boxing promoter in 2001. Guess I should mention that as it lends to the rest of my story and how I got here to Overland Bound. I've never known how not to work, so one job wasn't enough.

I started by working low level fights for a few years but ended up doing the biggest fights in the world. (Think HBO and Showtime PPV) Did that for around 15 years working with the top folks in the business. Yes, I've hung out with Don King in a Denali. Keep in mind I was still Active Duty in the Coast Guard during all of this.

As part of the fight promoting, I used the fledgeling social media sites (remember Facebook wasn't really online until 2004 and not open to the general public until 2006) to promote fights and became quite adept at it. Eventually to the point where I met some fight fans who were filmmakers in Hollywood and they asked me for help on social media promoting the films they were creating.

All of that went quite well so I ended up starting my own company nearly 8 years ago which focuses on social media marketing. This allows me to do my work from anywhere in the world as long as I have an Internet connection. My clients include folks from small family owned concerns to a Fortune 500 company where I run their Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.

Life has been good. My wife and I have one child together (20 months old who has been a full-time traveler since birth) and 4 older kids from a previous marriage that we both are very close with.

In February 2014 my wife and I sold everything but the business and bought a 40' Diesel RV and started traveling full-time. We typically move around 250 miles every two weeks. In addition to the RV we have a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited which we dubbed "GUARDIAN". We started blogging about our adventures at RVWanderlust (for the RV journey) and Jeepsies (for the Jeep adventures). I'd link them but I wouldn't want to break any forum rules on my first post here. So I'll let you do the sleuthing if you are interested.

It was actually my wife that came up with the idea to overland. Actually, she wants to visit every country on the planet that the State Department doesn't say you'll die in. I think there are currently 185 of them. So I think eventually that's the goal. But for now we're just getting our feet wet into the Overlanding Community.

I ran across Overland Bound while doing research on international travel in a Jeep. YouTube was my friend and I ended up on one of Michael's videos about the map feature which stuck with me. I watched it twice. On the second watching, my wife was eavesdropping and said, "You should join that." So here I am.

What are our plans? Well, for now to start prepping our 2014 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited for Overlanding. Right now it is set up as a moderate rock crawler / daily driver. But we are actively in the process of converting it into more of a full-time overlanding vehicle.

Our first purchase was our ARB 50QT Fridge/Freezer. Our second was a roof rack, a RTT, and an awning which we'll be getting in September. We've already ordered and paid for all of that business. So we're pretty stoked! We were planning on hitting up Overland Expo East this year, but the timing isn't going to work out well for us. So we'll be devouring the content those who make it there put out.

Anyway, that's how we ended up here. We became Overland Bound Member #OB14045 today, and we're really impressed with the site. I can see us becoming supporters of some level very soon. Well done to the entire Overland Bound team!

We genuinely look forward to making friends here and meeting up with folks all over the country /world. Currently we're on a 13 state, 11 month, 2 country tour we've dubbed the Western Mountain Loop Trip. It's been incredible so far and we're only about half way through.

Right now we're in the middle of nowhere Montana. By Saturday we'll be at Theodore Roosevelt National Park in Medora, North Dakota.

So if you can friend people on here, feel free to send me a friend request or follow or whatever. Shoot me a message, get to know us. We really do love meeting other like minded adventurers and travelers everywhere we go. For us, Overlanding is just the next logical step in our journey to visit the world.

Eric aka Jeepsies
(Brittany and Caspian say hi too!)
Amazing story and welcome!

Reactions: Hourless Life

Mickmutante

Rank I
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Bogota D.C.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
HJ3SUA
Hi everybody, I'm Mickmutante

2) Location: Bogotá D.C. / Colombia.
3) Rig: 2000, Nissan, Pathfinder (R50) SE Superlux, 3.3L., 5 speed MT, LSD, 1,5" front lift Imal springs, 1,5" rear lift IronMan springs... Cayenne red color, with interior slate - leather package, wood like interior trim, 4 airbags.
4) Overlanding Experience Background: Novice.
1) Picture:
PathRed-05 baja.jpg

Traveler I

Glad to be here! This looks like an amazing group of people.

A little about me, this is a pic of me and my daughter out on one of our adventures.

Live north of Seattle and always looking for others to go out with.
I drive a 2012 Jeep JKU Wrangler
I use to enjoy the outdoors when I was younger but got away from it. Now finding my way back and this time using my own rig to find my adventure. So I would say I am new with overlanding but old school outdoors.

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

Glad to be here!

Great to have you here! That is an awesome area to live in. I grew up in Seattle. Also awesome to see another JKU owner in the forums. Welcome! From #OB14045 aka Jeepsies aka Eric

Live north of Seattle and always looking for others to go out with.
I drive a 2012 Jeep JKU Wrangler
I use to enjoy the outdoors when I was younger but got away from it. Now finding my way back and this time using my own rig to find my adventure. So I would say I am new with overlanding but old school outdoors.

Reactions: Geek with a Jeep

Jarueda13

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Redwood City Ca
Member #

1335B0E6-7F40-448D-9143-24924042A889.jpeg 8611EF9D-42FB-43DF-B53D-AA8EEE101F54.jpeg 34C4F5FD-C13C-4733-8E92-CF2A66845D78.jpeg Hello my name is George from Redwood City Ca. new to overlanding. In the past I’ve done a lot of camping with my wife. Now that we have two little ones we decided to expand our excursion. We have a 07 jk that is a mall crawler and we purchased a jlur to make it a overlanding vehicle. So far we have a fridge a basket some lights. We’re waiting on a nice roof rack to become available. I’m excited to see where this forum/community takes us. Cheers.

Last edited:

Nomadik Nova

Rank VI
Staff member

Member III

Falmouth, MA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Nova
Member #

Hi everyone,

My name is Wayne and I'm from West Central PA region. Currently have a stock 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland edition. I enjoy hunting, fishing, camping and riding my motorcycle. New to overlanding and hopping to get my wife and grandkids involved in the lifestyle. I am also an extra class ham operator. Thanks again.
Welcome Wayne!

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

View attachment 64178 View attachment 64176 View attachment 64177 Hello my name is George from Redwood City Ca. new to overlanding. In the past I’ve done a lot of camping with my wife. Now that we have two little ones we decided to expand our excursion. We have a 07 jk that is a mall crawler and we purchased a jlur to make it a overlanding vehicle. So far we have a fridge a basket some lights. We’re waiting on a nice roof rack to become available. I’m excited to see where this forum/community takes us. Cheers.
Right on George! We have a 20 month old and a JKU. We're planning on Overlanding too. We just picked up the same fridge/freezer ourselves. Have you landed on a tent solution yet?

Reactions: Jarueda13

True North

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bay Area, California
Member #

View attachment 64178 View attachment 64176 View attachment 64177 Hello my name is George from Redwood City Ca. new to overlanding. In the past I’ve done a lot of camping with my wife. Now that we have two little ones we decided to expand our excursion. We have a 07 jk that is a mall crawler and we purchased a jlur to make it a overlanding vehicle. So far we have a fridge a basket some lights. We’re waiting on a nice roof rack to become available. I’m excited to see where this forum/community takes us. Cheers.
Nice rig! I'm in the peninsula too, I'll wave if I see you out and about :sunglasses:

TugboatMike94

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Redmond, WA
Member #

New guy checking in.

My name is Mike I’m 24 years old, I live in the greater Seattle area, and spend way too much time working on pnw tugboats as a A/B Deckhand.

I drive a 2006 Land Rover LR3 SE with the HD package that I bought stock in March. Since then I’ve fixed most of the issues I bought it cheap with. And dove head first with 2.5 inch lift rods, front runner full length roof rack, ARB front bumper, Smittybilt X20 10k wireless winch, led 9in driving lights, GMRS radio (CB and Firestik are in the mail), LR4 taillights, Osram CBI D2S headlight bulbs, and I had a ARB Simpson 3 but recently sold the tent to upgrade.

I have new larger tires coming, as well as some other goodies shortly.

I’d like to go crazier on the rig, but my M5 and 300TD take budget priority and I don’t have much time off in the summer lol.

Attachments

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hey folks,

Bay area, CA native here, totally new to overlanding, but have been stalking some nice rigs on Instagram ha. I grew up camping, fishing and enjoy backpacking and being outdoors. I've been getting more interested in overlanding as I can only hoof it so far to get off the grid.

I just picked up a 2016 4Runner TRD Pro yesterday, and am stoked to learn more from this community!
Welcome to Overland Bound! If your interested check the meet-up page to find a meet-up that might work for you.

If you have any questions message me on the forum at Kent R.

Reactions: True North