Member II

Alamogordo, NM
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Youngblood
Member #

Hey everyone!

Beginner overlander but experienced camper here. Went to Moab last year with a group of Minnesota overlanders and had a good time. This idea is in line with my passion, which is canoe camping the BWCA region.

Vehicle: 2012 Tacoma TRD Off-Road. Stock but looking to mke some modifications but still not totally sure what to do first
Experience: I’ve been canoe camping in the BWCA and other remote area many times, and am as comfortable outside in the woods as I am in my living room. I’ve never really overlander in a vehicle however, so this idea is new to me.
Hello and welcome to OB! Had to look up BWCA, sounds beautiful. And gotta love canoe camping. Never been, but have wanted to for years (I was thinking kayak more than canoe though). Looking forward to hearing some of your experiences.

Bentpine

Rank 0

Traveler I

Thanks Gregory! Yeah the BWCA is amazing country. I’ll try to post a pic or two.

Btw love the subi, I had an outback and Tacoma on my final list, but went with the Tacoma because it could haul more ice fishing gear :)

Jake Wettern | iamjake

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wisconsin Rapids, WI
Member #

Hi - new member. Never been much of a forum person, but y’all have a great set up. Living in the mountains of western North Carolina - currently driving a ‘00 LX470 I’ve had for years. It has been my family car - (I have a 4 year old child and multiple dogs), as well as the handful of times it’s been off-roading and looots of camping trips.

Looking forward to selling it soon and finding a 4Runner next, I think.
Hi J.V.Alexander and welcome to OB! Nice rig! Safe travels and enjoy those open roads!

Gregory Youngblood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Alamogordo, NM
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Youngblood
Member #

Thanks Gregory! Yeah the BWCA is amazing country. I’ll try to post a pic or two.

Btw love the subi, I had an outback and Tacoma on my final list, but went with the Tacoma because it could haul more ice fishing gear :)
Thanks, haha, but if you're talking about my vehicle, it's a 2013 Ford Explorer - the best Subaru I've had yet. :) I say that with lots of love towards Subaru, it's mostly a dig at the 5th gen Explorer being a crossover and not proper body on frame truck any more. I have had an Outback and a Tribeca. The Tribeca had great power, terrible mileage, and an awful computer that kept overriding my foot. The outback was a 2.5 w/6 speed manual - was GREAT! Except for 1st gear was too high, needed to be lower for the torque band of that motor. But man, that Outback was a blast driving up from Boulder towards Estes Park in Colorado. The Explorer has actually been one of my favorite all around vehicles. It won't do rock crawling, but the computer and electronic gadgets on it do some amazing things in a variety of terrain.

The Tacoma is a good choice. If I get a pickup I'd probably go with a Tacoma.

Jake Wettern | iamjake

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wisconsin Rapids, WI
Member #

Hi everyone excited as a new member and new to the idea of overlanding. Last summer my GF and I flew out west for 2 weeks. We rented a dodge durango as the second half of our trip would be driving through the rockies to jasper then south to banff and back. We camped along the way each night and hiked, jumped on some horses too. I grew up in a very rural area not seing the fun in camping this past trip has really changed my opinion.

Few years back I bought a 96 cherokee just for gravel roads and fishing. I also put a lift kit in around september last year but now am planning to outfit and explore more of ontario and tought I would share what I know about my area and learn about others.
Hi XJackal and welcome to OB! Nice looking Cherokee! Safe travels and enjoy those open roads!

Jake Wettern | iamjake

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wisconsin Rapids, WI
Member #

Hey everyone!

Beginner overlander but experienced camper here. Went to Moab last year with a group of Minnesota overlanders and had a good time. This idea is in line with my passion, which is canoe camping the BWCA region.

Vehicle: 2012 Tacoma TRD Off-Road. Stock but looking to mke some modifications but still not totally sure what to do first
Experience: I’ve been canoe camping in the BWCA and other remote area many times, and am as comfortable outside in the woods as I am in my living room. I’ve never really overlander in a vehicle however, so this idea is new to me.
Hi Bentpine and welcome to OB! Nice rig! Safe travels and enjoy those open roads!

TRT87

Rank VI
Launch Member

Builder I

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
Tennies
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
View attachment 45818
Olympia, Washington
1993 FZJ80, triple locked, OME Stock Height Heavy's, new Toyota shocks, the building has just begun. Run an Icon 208H 2m/70cm, CB & Sheriff's SAR radio

I've been involved with 4x4 SAR for the last 6 years and have spent most of my life outdoors in Western Washington. I've spent time in all the ORV parks in the state, and quite a bit of time at Tahuya mainly taking new TLCA members off-road. I feel very comfortable traveling overland from a driving ability with a good amount of recovery skills, if I had to rate my experience on a scale of 1-10 I would say I'm probably 6.5/7. My son and I traveled to Moab with a Jeeper friend last summer, we drove to the end of Chicken Corner in the FZJ80 and then jumped in a couple built 06 LJ's on 35's for more difficult trails like Steel Bender, which I'm proud to say I was able to negotiate without stacking any rocks and without having to use any lockers.

I'm looking forward to building up my FZJ80 and taking some back country routes in Oregon and driving up the Dalton highway in the next year or two. Getting the land cruiser base lined with maintenance now, new brakes are on order, as well as fresh birf's, a few more fluid changes, a quick tune-up and she'll be good to go.
OlyWaFJ,

Nice rig and welcome to OB. It sounds like you have some great experience and knowledge to bring to the forum!

- Tyler

Reactions: Rubyredfozzy

TRT87

Rank VI
Launch Member

Builder I

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
Tennies
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
There's hang glider point (??) that can be an interesting drive, the times I've gone up have been muddy and I've been alone so I didn't push it up the last stretch. Dry it would be a bumpy drive but nothing a normal SUV/truck couldn't handle. On a clear day you should be able to see most of the valley floor.
Greg,

Do you have coords for hang glider point? I want to check it out on google earth.

Thank you!

- Tyler

Gregory Youngblood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Alamogordo, NM
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Youngblood
Member #

StormChaser

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Roaming, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Oddi
Hello all! My names Ryan,

- I'm currently living in NE Portland, OR.

- I just picked up a 1995 Toyota 4Runner SR5 22r-e 5sp with 145k with very few modifications, such a rarity it seems! I still have a 2003 Subaru WRX which I lifted and threw some oversize Grabber AT2's on it.. it has been a trusty steed (pony?) but it's just simply too small for my wants/desires.

- I guess you could say I'm a novice when it comes to overlanding. I've been mildly involved for the past 4 years, but looking to change that!

4runner - day 1.jpg

Reactions: Burque Outbound

Gregory Youngblood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Alamogordo, NM
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Youngblood
Member #

- I just picked up a 1995 Toyota 4Runner SR5 22r-e 5sp with 145k with very few modifications, such a rarity it seems! I still have a 2003 Subaru WRX which I lifted and threw some oversize Grabber AT2's on it.. it has been a trusty steed (pony?) but it's just simply too small for my wants/desires.

- I guess you could say I'm a novice when it comes to overlanding. I've been mildly involved for the past 4 years, but looking to change that!
Hi and welcome to OB!

Nice new addition to the stable. I'm sure you'll have lots of fun with it.

billiamwu

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Jacksonville, Florida
Member #

Hi everyone. I'm Will, based in Sydney Australia (at the moment).

Came over to Australia from the US a few years ago and decided to give 4x4/overlanding a try. Really just getting into overlanding - I always sort of knew I'd like it, but after buying our 2007 Discovery 3, I fell in love right away.

We are relocating back to the US (visa expires) next month and already planning on building out a LR4 (it's been a light obsession)!

Reactions: Burque Outbound

Jake Wettern | iamjake

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wisconsin Rapids, WI
Member #

View attachment 45928
Hi Ryan and welcome to OB! Nice looking 4Runner! Safe travels and enjoy those open roads!

XJackal

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Almonte, Ontario, Canada
Member #

View attachment 45928
hey storm show a pic of the wrx I'm curious ! nice 4Runner those rigs are high value up here !

gorilladirt

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Murphys, California, USA
First Name
Blake
Last Name
Lemmons
Member #

Hello everyone. Pretty stoked to be joining, seems like a pretty active community. I'm just getting started with overlanding. Over the last few years we've (including my wife and two young daughters) been doing cross country trips with a 2015 Tundra and decent size trailer - been a blast. We've gone "off-road" a number of times, but nothing requiring 4x4. We wound up in Moab one trip and we follwed a guide through Hell's Kitchen on ATV's and fell in love with 4x4'ing. We no longer have our Tundra, but have gone back to a 2018 4Runner TRD Off-Road (we've had 2 older 4runners) and are planning another cross country trip. What I'd really like to find out is where I can find forestry roads to start working my way up in experience from dirt roads to potential crawling. Hard to find routes and learn about the routes.