Michael
Last Name
Lester
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC5DWF
Service Branch
Navy
I just finished up my first camping trip in a very long time and I didn't sleep well.

I need some reccomendations on a good mattress brand or type.

I am ground camping for the forseeable future, and will not be backpacking anytime soon either. So the weight will not be an issue.

I just need a good nights sleep!

Thanks all!

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I have an older version of this model. I love it. Thermarest Mondoking

Not cheap but comfortable. I use it in my trailer or on top of a cot when I camp in my tent. Of course it would work fine on the ground too. Any of these really thick pads should do the trick though. REI has a few options.

Reactions: CTO1Mike

wahoowad

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Virginia, USA
First Name
Wilbur
Last Name
McGee
Just spent the weekend on an Intek air mattress, a big one which looked ridiculous but slept like a dream. I brought my deep cycle battery and a small inverter to power the air pump (0.9amp draw). You can find them online, at Walmart, etc.

I have been researching air mattresses myself as I thought the big Intek queen was going to be too embarrassingly large to bring (it was not, fit just fine with the rest of my gear in the truck). I have it narrowed down to these 2 well recommended models in the event I decide to buy something different:

Exped Megamat Lon X-Wide (10LXW)
REI Co-op Camp Dreamer XL Self-Inflating Deluxe Bed

Attachments

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I have 2 thermarest 2'' thick, love them. I have used on a low cot too, work very well. As to which one really is up to you.
I also have 2 sleeping bags, one a 30 degree and a 5 degree bag, they zip together. the temp determines which goes on top.

marlinmonty

Rank 0

Contributor I

S.E. Oklahoma
First Name
warren
Last Name
bauck
I just made some sleeping pads . I got foam from the foam factory . 2 in of 70lb. and 2 inch of 50 lb. both the 2.8 density . I sleep on my side and this does not bottom out on wood bunks in topper . made 2 for less than $180 delivered . 3 m spray glue to goin them is working fine .

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

When I tent camp I use a Coleman air mattress. I find that pumping it up to about to about 75% of its capacity is best, for me any way. If it's too firm I literally bounce around (or off) vs. comfortably sinking into it.