Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

At this moment I have for two Rigs and crew the oppurtunity to come along on our Market Garden tour. on the 9th till the 10th of july. More spots arent available at the two campsites.
Any interest?

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
At this moment I have for two Rigs and crew the oppurtunity to come along on our Market Garden tour. on the 9th till the 10th of july. More spots arent available at the two campsites.
Any interest?
Hi Robert,

Great that you are going to organize this! Thank you!

As we have already spoken about, if it works somehow, we will be there! Fingers crossed that it works!

But isn't it 10th/ 11th July?, so Saturday/ Sunday, right?

Cheers, Björn

Reactions: Kent R

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Correct, but we are travelling to near the start of the tour on Friday evening. As Iam not a fan of betting up early. haha.
And so we have a nice evening from home, bit of a BBQ and such. Just being outdoors is a pleasure.

Reactions: El-Dracho

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
So, currently we are with 2 rigs. The combination of overlanding and WW2 history is super exciting and we will have a great time! Who will join us?

Reactions: Robert OB 33/48

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
By the way, we start Friday between 5 and 6PM from the Rhein Neckar region and drive to the meeting point. ETA about 10PM. Who wants to join us already for the journey to the starting point of the Market Garden Tour is welcome!

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
We are back again. This much is already said: it was a supercool tour and we had a lot of fun! There will be a little report and a few photos in the next few days! Stay tuned!

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Here comes the promised report from our trip...

After a short journey of about 400 kilometers we meet on Friday evening near the Dutch-Belgian border. While rolling onto the small nature campground, Frederique and Robert have already lit the campfire. What a great welcome! We eat something and chat a little, then we go to bed early. Tomorrow we want to get up early and make a few miles...

Basecamp1.jpg
Basecamp 1

On the tracks of Operation Market Garden is our keyword for the next two days. Market Garden was the code name for an air-ground operation of the Allied Forces in WW2, which took place in September 1944. The goal at the time was to bypass the Westwall and make a rapid push to bring a quick liberation. During the gigantic airborne operation Market, nearly 40,000 paratroopers were dropped into various landing zones. Tank units pushed from the south as part of Operation Garden. This sub-operation began at Joe's Bridge. This bridge was virtually the springboard for the ground offensive.

At Joes bridge.jpg
At Joe´s Bridge

And so, after a short breakfast the next morning, we drive to the starting point of our tour at Joe's Bridge. After a stop with a look at the information boards, we are off. Robert leads us along small roads and dirt paths that wind through the beautiful landscape. Here and there we take short breaks and photo stops.

Nice tracks.JPG
Nice tracks

Around noon we arrive at a beautiful place with a nice restaurant, which we already know from a previous tour. Well strengthened we go on. On the way there are always information boards or memorials that remind us of what happened here during WW2. In the early afternoon we reach the town of Overloon.

Memorials along the way.jpg
Memorials along the way

In WW2, Overloon was completely destroyed during one of the biggest tank battles. After the war, a war and resistance museum was built here. We have a look at it together. Numerous exhibits can be seen here. It is exciting and makes at the same time thoughtful.

At the museum.jpg
At Overloon Museum

Shortly afterwards we reach our destination for today. A small nature campsite nearby. We end the evening with a barbecue, good conversations and a campfire. Even the pattering rain cannot spoil our fun.

Basecamp2.jpg
Basecamp 2

On the last day of our trip, we have a late breakfast and relax a bit. Today there is still a small trip section on the program. We explore again many great roads and paths, enjoy the nature and the beautiful weather and finally reach Arnhem. More precisely, the Bridge of Arnhem. This bridge was a key point of war in 1944 during the Battle of Arnhem. Some of you may be familiar with the movie "A Bridge Too Far".

This is where our fantastic tour ends. It was a great time and the combination of overlanding and history really exciting and interesting. Thanks to Robert who worked out the route together with Frederique. Back home safe and sound, we are already looking forward to more nice trips together.

Reactions: Robert OB 33/48

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

It was a superb weekend.
On the friday evening we drove to the south of the Netherlands, Bergeijck to be precise.
Arriving at the campsite we found through the internet and it was a very pleasant suprise because it was a great one.
Still in building up mode, but everything looked very sharp.
We could set up camp just next to a field and it was not that much people there.
After setting up camp we lit the grill and waited for Björn and Mareik to come.
20210709_195513.jpg
Exactly as planned they arrived and after some good talks around the fire we hit the sack to be refreshed and happy for the next day.
20210709_232914.jpg
Start was at Joe's Bridge
20210418_115425.jpg
So the next morning we drove of and yes, this is the Netherlands as well. This part of the Netherlands, I heard from people who were in Africa before, looked very similar to the African Savannah.
20210710_101359.jpg
But it is Holland.
20210710_101559.jpg
Arriving at Overloon we explored the Museum there, which is the oldest and first War museum in Europe.
20210710_152701.jpg
20210710_152720.jpg
After that we drove shopping and to the second campsite of this weekend.
20210710_191804.jpg
And of course, we needed some healthy food.
So we fired up the grill and did put up some upgraded veggies for a good and healthy meal.
20210710_191837.jpg
The next day we drove towards Arnhem and visited along the way some monuments about Market Garden.
141784999_3519984148127211_395095278040932064_n.jpg
20210321_140923.jpg
20210321_140928.jpg
5cd783361b98b9d7c4c64bec6153bda5.jpg
(as you see, this is just a picture of the bridge, not mine. )

It was a great trip and with great people. As I did read a bit about this little piece of history, I can guide people along places to have an impression of how it was back then.

• Love
Reactions: El-Dracho