Investor

Advocate I

San Benito County, CA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Madison
Member #

My groups journey in March 2018 took us through Ballarate, Surprise Canyon, Goler Wash, Barker Ranch, Mengel Pass, Saline Valley, Rhyolite, Titus Canyon, and a lot of places in between. First extended trip in the 01Tahoe loaded for bear. I was the least capable vehicle there, but kept up with everyone else. The Toyota's power steering failed in Golar Wash, and add an upcoming storm, he decided to leave after 3 days. Also the Scout blew an axle seal, so he kept it pretty mellow. We had 3 storms on the trip, the first night when we lucked out and help up in a cabin in Surprise Canyon, mid-trip 70 mph winds were forecast so we ducked into civilization for a hotel midway through for a night, and the last night there it dumped snow. Pictures are in no particular order. Enjoy!

Ballarat Junk.jpg

Ballarate town center.jpg

Barker Ranch 2.jpg

Bottle House.jpg

Cabin Canyon.jpg

Camp Beatty BLM.jpg

Caravan.jpg

Cargo Plane.jpg

Dry Wood.jpg

Dust Storm.jpg

High Country.jpg

Tower Art.jpg

Hot Springs.jpg

Leadfield.jpg

Looking Back.jpg

Mengel Pass.jpg

mengel rocks.jpg

Mine Saline Valley.jpg

old salt ponds.jpg

the road is somewhere ahead.jpg

Petroglyphs.jpg

Rain water.jpg

Road View.jpg

tahoe.JPG

Ryolite train station 2.jpg

Salt tram.jpg

Spectators.jpg

Stripped Butte.jpg

Swingset.jpg

Sculpture.jpg

Yvonne at Cabin.jpg

Titus Canyon Lunch.jpg

Sunrise 6.jpg

Ride Home.jpg

Ice Truck.jpg

Last edited:

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

It looks like a great trip! The potential for 70 MPH winds is no joke, I can't blame you for ducking into a motel for a night to avoid that. Glad to hear the Tahoe worked so well. Much like my pickup, they're not typically considered much as far as off-roaders go, but really they'll do WAY more than I think most people realize with good lines and careful tire-placement. How did y'all plan the route, or was it arranged by somebody else in the group?

Also, that Scout is just so cool, shame it broke. Anytime I see a clean Scout, or Waggy/OG Cherokee etc. it really makes me contemplate an old-school build. I'm a fool, and love square bodies so I'd love to do an early square Suburban (I like the round-fenders or even 5th Gens, but they tend to be $$$$$$$$$$). Of course, they just have so much going against them (long, flexy frames, anemic stock powerplants, not smog-exempt except the first 3 model years, etc.) but obviously I like doing things the hard-way since I picked the least-supported solid-axle Jeep to build. ;)

-TJ

Reactions: Jeepin It Simple

JimBill

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

San Benito County, CA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Madison
Member #

How did y'all plan the route, or was it arranged by somebody else in the group?
Was my first time with this group, but one member is a long time friend. After I heard they did Mojave preserve, I let them know I wanted in! They had the trip planned so we went along. The first full day going Goler Wash and Mengel Pass had me exhausted, as all day I had to take very careful lines and tip toe over the gardens in the Tahoe. And it was a wallowing beast until firewood and fuel came off the roof, especially since I had the new front coil overs set way to soft and kept fighting bottoming out the front suspension. The good news was it was a luxury ride. Weather and the Toyota breaking changed the plans mid stream, which was fine and part of the adventure. We had planned Cerro Gordo (snowed in) and Steele Pass (Toyota with no power steering and Scout wondering about his differential), but had to nix them this trip. Last year we did a make up trip to hit some of the places we didn't do on this trip. When I get time over the next day or two I will put pics of the second trip up next on this thread. Less pictures were taken, but we did more wheeling and I was having more fun in the WJ!

Ashton

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Near the Rubicon
First Name
Hari
Last Name
See Above
Love that picture of the rusted play set with the view. Some good snaps you got there guy, in a world awash with pics of this area.

Reactions: JimBill