Rapid City, SD, USA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
Walla
Member #

Service Branch
Firefighter
Hello all I am looking to make my first overland adventure since joining the group. I am fairly versed in off road camping, driving, and just living outside in general. All my adventures in the past have had a mission in mind like hunting, fishing, or work (fire). So I have always had a destination in mind or a direction. I am looking to just go do some wandering around. It is time I go see the sites take time to just camp and enjoy and move to a new site when I feel like it. So what I am looking for are some of your favorite runs and any information you can give about things you recommend to take on that trip.

My rig, so far, stock RAM 2500 megacab falken tires
I have all the gear for camping, cooking, sleeping, tools, recovery (minus winch), electronics, what I am interested in hearing is anything more out of the ordinary that you would bring on the trip.

1. Your favorite trip you have taken in the Rocky Mountain Region
2. Any specialized gear you wish you had taken or glad you had with you
3. Something I could do keeping mind the rig I am working in right now.

Thanks for the input and information I look forward to hearing all about your adventures.

AAAAND GO!!

20200714_193503.jpg

Acolle

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Ang
Last Name
CO
Member #

1. Do the loop up over paradise divide in Gunnison NF, CO. Only if you are comfortable in a larger rig on single track with somewhat dramatic edges. Parts can be worthy of a proper pucker... Especially passing oncoming traffic when it happens. All in all, not that bad. But some people don't like that stuff. Anyhow, camp up top on the divide by the small pond. Make sure you back it up to the north side so you can look out over paradise basin below. Stunning.

2. Special gear I find myself dragging along is the fun small stuff. I have a real nice ax I like to prep wood with. Old style camp lanterns to noodle will drinking beer. A proper lodge cast iron gem we toss into the fire/coals for cooking.

3. Ask lots of questions (of people who have built many rigs) and go to every type of demo or overland show you can make. Kick the tires on EVERYTHING before you purchase something large like a shell, trailer, camper etc. I only say this as I am on my 4th build. And I've wasted (or I should say had a lot of fun) with pissing money away on things I really did not need or simply didn't like. See point number 2 above.