Launch Member

Member III

Jefferson County, Colorado, United States
First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

I have a magnetic CB antenna that I am planning on using on as an as-needed basis bc I don’t need a CB antenna on my daily driver. Also, I don’t really want to go through all the trouble of figuring out how to run the coaxial cable without drilling or anything on a new rig (I just hit 3,333 miles on the odometer today!). I have a SWR tuner, but here is my question - will I have to retune my antenna every time I hook it up to hit the trail? Or after I tune it once, will it be good to go as long as I stick it onto the same spot every time?

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Leave it in place but remove the antenna. Replace the allen screw with a thumb screw so you can easily loosen and tighten the antenna. That's what I have done in the past. Also nice if you feel the need to pull down an antenna quickly while on the trail. Places like Ace Hardware have them in lots of sizes.

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Jefferson County, Colorado, United States
First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

Leave it in place but remove the antenna. Replace the allen screw with a thumb screw so you can easily loosen and tighten the antenna. That's what I have done in the past. Also nice if you feel the need to pull down an antenna quickly while on the trail. Places like Ace Hardware have them in lots of sizes.
I was wanting to just pull the whole thing off & store it in the back of the car when not in use. If I leave it in place it would be going over the top of weatherstripping & could let rain leak into the car.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I was wanting to just pull the whole thing off & store it in the back of the car when not in use. If I leave it in place it would be going over the top of weatherstripping & could let rain leak into the car.
If you mean what is in your door I have never had an issue with my FJ. You might even be able to tuck it behind the weather strip for a cleaner look. Your mileage may vary....

Reactions: Sasquatch SC

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I'm a little late answering this one.
When your tuning, your matching the antenna length to the frequency your using. When I tune on CB, I do it in the center of the band on channel 20. Removing it wont change the antenna tune but, putting it more forward, rearward or to the side will effect the direction of signal somewhat.
As @1Louder mentioned about the screw. Check it once in a while. I've picked up a number of antenna top sections on the trail over the years.

Reactions: Sasquatch SC