dextari

Rank 0

Contributor I

Maine, USA
First Name
Allan
Last Name
Mulandi
This is my basic M101 A3 trailer project. The concept is to build a budget trailer with a roof top tent to simplify our family (married with 3 kids) camping trips from packing everything in the house for a weekend trip to attaching the trailer to the truck and heading out in a few minutes.
It started off with an impulsive craigslist buy of this trailer. Experience: watched a few Youtube videos and thought "I can do this!" ....I never learn.

So far I have looked at different M101A3 trailers on youtube, instagram and different online forums and have decided to keep the trailer bows and tarp after taking it camping in heavy torrential rain. It kept everything dry. I borrowed my design from HuntSurfFish on instagram and built and exoskeleton rack system with the help of a local fabrication shop. They surprised me by designing it to be removable which is convenient for storage of the trailer in the garage...in theory: time will tell whether removing the rtt and rack will be practical for winter storage.

For a weekend project I decided to make use of the tailgate as added counter space, a quick trip to Tractor Supply got me a pair of 1 foot chains to lengthen the chain enough to get a flat surface on the tailgate. Warranted a celebratory drink :)

As I await delivery of the roof top tent I decided to paint the rack, which meant taking it apart: surprisingly very easy!

More to come with the roof top tent.

Attachments

Reactions: Ncat and Reaper XJ

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I pick one of these up on the 19th of this month. A guy at work picked one up with the intention of turning around and selling it so he sold it to me for a good price. I'm going to have to get creative with my XJ though as it's going to be riding very much nose down lol. Smaller tires or do a spring under axle or something along those lines. For now I won't be getting rid of my modded flatbed harbor freight trailer.